Monday, May 21, 2012

Speaking for God

Monday, May 21
John 17:7-9
"They now know, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that everything you gave me is firsthand from you.  For the message you gave me, I gave them, and they took it and were convinced that I came from you.  They believed that you sent me.  I pray for them.  I'm not praying for the God-rejecting world, but for those you gave me, for they are yours by right." (The Message)
     Jesus, in this longest recorded prayer in John, is asking that his disciples will continue to realize that his message is authentic from God, even when the going gets tough.  He is the current "burning bush" for this generation and time.  He speaks for God.  His words must ring with Truth when the listeners acknowledge the source of the words.
     But how often do we hear someone say, "God told me to do it!"?  People today claim God guides them to do all sorts of questionable things.  They claim to have the same 'direct channel' to God that Jesus had.  How do we know what's from God and what isn't?
     Look beyond the words to the actions.  Jesus lived God's word.  We believe what he said because his daily life, his healing, helping and loving, all affirmed his words as God's Truth.
     Does my daily living affirm God's love and message to those I encounter?  My neighbors, friends, and family?  If I tell someone this message is from God, will my life make my words believable?

No comments:

Post a Comment