Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Sheep and Shepherds!

I am home "laying low" and getting bored, so I shall share a little.  I spent the morning drawing!

Tuesday, May 1   The Shepherd Relationship
John 10:14-15
"I am the Good Shepherd.  I know my own sheep and my own sheep know me.  In the same way, the Father knows me and I know the Father. I put the sheep before myself, sacrificing myself if necessary."  (The Message)
     At the heart of Shepherding is a reciprocal relationship between the Shepherd and the sheep.  We easily understand the first part: our Shepherd takes care of us and knows us by name - individually.  Not as a number or as part of the whole flock, but as us...alone.  It is a great big universe out there with lots of sheep.  To think that God doesn't look out and see a massive flock, but sees and knows each of us as a unique individual - that is mind blowing.  What a sense of overpowering love flows from that realization!
     But how easily do we often neglect the second part of the relationship: my sheep know me.  We must listen and recognize God's voice when he calls to us, when he tries to gather us in as we stray.  We often get confused with conflicting voices telling us what to do.  If we live in our Shepherd/Sheep relationship, we'll recognize God's voice among the crowd and seek him only.
     By name, by voice....live in the love of the Shepherd Relationship.

Monday, April 30   Fair-Weather Shepherds
John 10:11-13
"A hired man is not a real shepherd.  The sheep mean nothing to him.  He sees a wolf come and runs for it, leaving the sheep to be ravaged and scattered by the wolf."  (The Message)
     
We all know or have known "Fair-weather" friends - those who are with you when life is fun and exciting, when the going is smooth, but run for the exit when things heat up and get tough. They are gone, like the hired hand, when the wolf comes - just when you could really use their help!
     But not our Shepherd, Christ.  Our Good Shepherd will be there for us.  He's no "fly by night" hired hand.  Shepherding is hard work, but God/Jesus love us so much, they will be there.  No matter what.  No matter when.
     What kind of Shepherd am I to those within my care?  Am I a friend that stands firm when the wolf of illness, divorce, financial difficulties comes?  Do I show the love of Christ in my relationships with others?  I want to be known as a Good Shepherd, not a hired hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment