Thursday, May 3, 2012

MORE SHEEP

I know yesterday was "technically" our Missional community devotion day, but I have been caught up in the Sheep imagery all week (and lacking anything more strenuous to occupy my time....).  I especially found the closing prayer in today's message thought provoking:  "God, you have given me a perfect example to follow. While I cannot live up to that example, help me to desire to try. Help me see myself as a shepherd of your love for the world. Amen." Read on....


Thursday, May 3    Shepherd Love
1 John 3:16-17
"This is how we've come to understand and experience love: Christ sacrificed his life for us.  This is why we ought to live sacrificially for our fellow believers, and not just be out for ourselves...."  (The Message)
    To be a good Shepherd means to put the needs of the flock ahead of our own. It involves sacrifice.  It means diligently tending the flock and not running off and neglecting them.  Even if we don't always LIKE some of the flock....or they hold different views from ours.  I must tend to some gay sheep in my flock?  Some Arab sheep?  We often get caught up in judging the value of the sheep first.  Christ set the example of Shepherding. If we see each sheep as our extension of Christ's love....if we see LOVE in each sheep, our sacrifice will come, our actions will be right.  If we Shepherd Love, rather than sheep, we will come much closer to acting as Christ in our broken world.  








Wednesday, May 2    One Flock
John 10:16-18
"You need to know that I have other sheep in addition to those in this pen.  I need to gather and bring them too.  they'll also recognize my voice." (The Message)
     At the heart of yesterday's devotion was the message that God calls me by name - individually.  He knows ME inside and out.  It would be easy to think of this as a one-on-one exclusive relationship - a personal Big Brother and Shepherd.  But Jesus goes on to remind us there are other sheep also. 
     Other sheep?  What? I have to share?  Does God/Christ love that funny-looking sheep over there just as much as me?  If that sheep has lots of problems, will the Shepherd have time for me?  Those sheep are different from me.  Are you sure they recognize the same shepherd's voice?  They hear it differently.  We have to live together in the same pen?  In harmony?  
     We love the thought of a unique individual faith with God.  We don't always handle sharing our pen, or our God, as well with those who hear the same voice, but in a different way.  How do we learn to live together in the flock?  Watch and listen to the Good Shepherd.  Copy him.  He's pretty good at loving ALL the sheep.  

1 comment:

  1. To the group....I have sent a copy of what's posted so far to Roger and I will take it upon myself to do so for awhile anyway.... shalom!

    ReplyDelete