Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Father Knows Best!

Tuesday, May 29     Father Knows Best!
John 16:4-7
"I didn't tell you this earlier because I was with you every day.  But now I am on my way to the One who sent me.  Not one of you has asked, 'Where are you going?'  Instead, the longer I've talked, the sadder you've become.  So let me say it again, this truth: It's better for you that I leave.  If I don't leave, the Friend won't come.  but if I go, I'll send him to you."  (The Message)
          This passage has the classic sound of parents telling their children, "This is for your own good!" or "This will hurt me more than you" or "Father knows best!"  But.... the Father DOES know what is best for us!  We cannot fathom the plan of God anymore than we can comprehend the depth of God.  We have to trust in faith the untimely events, the strange requests, the good and the bad of life, can all ultimately be 'for our own good' because it is with unfathomable love that God operates.  We pray our prayers and then complain that God didn't answer them as we requested.  No, because God answered in the way that was best for us!  Our Father does know best!
          Jesus is reminding the disciples he will be leaving....for their own good.  But he also reiterates that when he leaves, the Advocate/Friend in the form of the Holy Spirit will come!  He will not be gone except in a physical sense.  What wonderful reassurance to have!  God is taking care of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment