Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Protected by Truth

Wednesday, May 23
John 17:14-19
".....Guard them from the Evil One...Make them holy - consecrated - with the Truth; your word is consecrating truth.  In the same way that you gave me a mission in the world, I give them a mission in the world.  I'm consecrating myself for their sakes, so they'll be truth-consecrated in their mission." (The Message, vs. 15, 17)
     'Guard against Evil', protection, safety, power of Truth.....this sounds like Jesus is directing his prayer at a gathering of new SuperHeroes!  Jesus, God's first SuperPower, took on the responsibility of Truth, and now, in a world of hostility, he is passing it on.  The safety and protection of God's truth will be a necessary defense or secret super-power for the disciples.
     Paul's description of the Armour of Christ in Ephesians comes to mind here in addition to Super Heroes. Armed with the sword of the Spirit, the Armor of Righteousness, the Helmet of Salvation!   The Truth will be the disciples' superpower against injustice, hatred and sin.
       What kind of movie might this make?  Take the Joker out of Batman and replace him with Satan.  Add the Jewish high court, the Romans, and the idol worshippers as the antagonists, the 'Evil Ones'.  Arm twelve superheroes with the power of God, manifested in the Holy Spirit and the words of Christ.
     How does the movie end?  Do I have a small role in it?  My powers of Truth are within me.  Have I used them?

No comments:

Post a Comment