Thursday, May 17, 2012

CHOSEN!

Thursday, May 17         Chosen!
John 15:16-17
"You did not choose me, but I chose you.  And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him, in my name.  I am giving you these commands so that you may love one another."  (NRSV)
     I love the word 'Chosen' in this passage.  We are chosen by none other than the Almighty God of the Universe!  Wow!  That is a special calling!  WE are special to God.  YOU are special!  I am special!  It's like getting picked to be on a team in grade school....that warm feeling of being wanted.  But this team is for life....God's team!  Christ has picked me to be on his team for a reason however....to love; to use the power he's given me to bear fruit, fruit of love.  We are chosen, but we are chosen for a big job of responsibility.
     Today I noticed the different use of words in this passage by the NRSV as opposed to The Message:  "Remember the root command: Love one another!"  OR TEV, "This, then, is what I command you: love one another."  These seem much more direct from the "I'm giving you these commands so that you may love one another."  Which comes first, the chicken or the egg?  The command or the love?  The fruit or the vine?  Do we love because it bears the fruit of love (and God then gives us what we ask for)  OR does God give to us all these directions (commands) so that we will love one another?  I think God knows how hard it is to love all - including those different, difficult or divisive.  We are only able to love them through the power of God.  He gives us that ability.  He knows we are going to need a little help.
     Which came first?  That's easy - GOD!  And then, heaps and heaps of love.  We've been chosen to spread that love.  Did God chose well?  Am I doing my part for the team?  Am I living up to the responsibility given to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment