Wednesday, January 21, 2015

BEFORE AMEN (Lucado) - Thank You

Post based on Max Lucado's book, BEFORE AMEN: The Power of a Simple Prayer, 2014

Daddy. You are good.  I need help. Heal and forgive me.  They need help.  Thank you. Amen.

THANK YOU

Chapter 8 highlights:

  • Gratitude is a dialysis of sorts.  It flushes the self-pity out of our systems. 
  • To say thanks is to celebrate a gift. 
  • The white whale of want swims our waters.  But God has given Ahab the harpoon of gratitude.  
  • When you look for reasons to be grateful, you'll spot love happen, miracles happen.
  • Nothing silences grumps like gratitude.  
  • The cure for ingratitude?  Look up!  Look and see what God has done!
  • Don't be too quick in your assessment of God's gifts to you.  Moment by moment.  Day by day.  


1.21.15   1 Thessalonians 5:18 VOICE
Give thanks to God no matter what circumstances you find yourself in. 

     I have often used the ABC's as a way to remember my prayer concerns, people in need, etc.  But I can't say I have used the method to categorize my thanks, to enumerate my gratefulness for the blessings God rains upon me.  I have been making my list of 'Moments of God-Grace' for this year on a daily basis.  I have a goal to LOOK for reasons for gratitude, to look for love, to look for the miracles.  My goal is One Thousand Gifts by the first of June.  So far....I'm ahead of schedule.  I am abundantly blessed!
     But Max Lucado has us alphabetize our thanks.  So...here's my ABC list for today....the first things that popped into my mind!  But it is amazing how you can suddenly not think of ANYTHING 'good' that starts with a particular letter!  And for certain letters the blessings flow....  I'm sure next week my list would look different.  Maybe a good exercise to undertake on a monthly basis!  

A:  Andrea and Amilio, Acorns, Autumn colors, and Absence of Appendix!
B:  Bountiful Baskets, Balloons, and Butterflies
C:  Chocolate, Chimpanzees, Cherries and Cherrie!
D:  Daffodils, Diane...my sister-in-law
E:  Elephants...they remind me of my sister Liz, and I love their trunks! 
F:  Family, Friends, and Fireflies. 
G:  Grace, Grins, and the Glory of Creation  
H:  Happy faces 
I:    Ideas, new and old, Images.
J:   Jon Jedediah, Jack, 
K:   Kady, Katy, kaleidescopes and kids
L:   Luke, Lectionary study 
M:  Mothers and melodies memorized
N:   Nature, nuts, and nasturshims
O:  Orange sunsets.... 
P:   Photographs of Creation beauty, Pencils, 
Q:  Quiet moments in the morning for reflection, writing, drawing
R:   Rick....and rainbows!
S:   Sisters, Sunshine, smiles, and sourdough starter
T:   Travel, tie-dye, and lots of Toms!   
U:   Umbrellas and understanding 
V:   Violets and vines
W:  Waterfalls, winter, and wisdom
X:   Xtra special friendships
Y:   Yellow flowers   
Z:   Zebras.. ...a cop-out, but my mind is blank! 


   

No comments:

Post a Comment