Thursday, January 22, 2015

BEFORE AMEN (Lucado) - In Jesus' Name Amen!

Post based on Max Lucado's book, BEFORE AMEN: The Power of a Simple Prayer, 2014.

Daddy. You are good.  I need help. Heal and forgive me.  They need help.  Thank you. In Jesus' name, Amen.

In Jesus' Name, AMEN.

Chapter 9 highlights:
  • Prayer slaps handcuffs on Satan.  Prayer takes problems out of the domain of the devil and into the presence of God. 
  • Prayer changes things because prayer appeals to the top power in the universe....It is a yes to God's invitation to invoke his name.  
1.22.15  Authority
Matthew 8:6-8 GNT 
"Sir, my servant is sick in bed at home, unable to move and suffering terribly."  
'I will go and make him well," Jesus said. 
"Oh no, sir," answered the officer.  "I do not deserve to have you come into my house.  Just give the order, and my servant will get well."
    
      In the name of Jesus, Amen.  That final phrase stamps our prayer with the authority of God, the power of Jesus to create change.  The Roman centurion knows this.  He knows Jesus can heal with just the word.  Just give the order...he says...you have the power.  And Jesus heals the servant, giving witness to all of his authority over all.  
     I have to admit I originally just typed Amen for the title of this final chapter of Lucado's book.  I'll write a little on the power of Amen and be done.  I can't.  Lucado places considerable emphasis on the power of a prayer which invokes the name of Jesus; the power of a prayer that bears witness to the authority of Christ through God. .... 

The Father has handed over everything to My care.  Matthew 11:27 VOICE
I am telling you the truth: the Father will give you whatever you ask of him in my name.  John 16:23 GNT

     Jesus affirms this authority.  We should do the same when we pray, confident that God is listening and ready to respond.   Whatever you ask....in my name.     
  

1.23.15  Amen!
2 Corinthians 1:20-21 MSG
Whatever God has promised gets stamped with the Yes of Jesus.  In him, this is what we preach and pray, the great Amen, God's Yes and our Yes together, gloriously evident.  God affirms us, making us a sure thing in Christ, putting his YES within us.
     I did a little research on the origins of the word Amen.  The English comes from Latin, which comes from Greek, which is derived from Aramaic, and finally Hebrew.  So many translations allow a word to have multiple meanings and uses.  But in a nutshell?  Truth, dependability, agreement, emphasis.  At the end of a prayer we often translate Amen as So be it!  Peterson uses the word, YES!  This is truth!  Fact!  I agree!  
     The root word from Hebrew or Aramaic Jesus used at the beginning of sentences.  The "Truly, truly, I say to you" is very much like saying, "Amen. Amen.  Listen up!  This is important and true."  I like the use of YES!  It is positive and affirming.  I like thinking that at the end of the prayer God is voicing YES! with me, we say Amen! together.  

     Rick and I listen to a Christian radio station each morning and it is often playing while I am writing during my devotional time.  One song has been played nearly every morning and it has echoed in my mind throughout this book. I will include the first verse and the chorus....perhaps the final line will echo at the end of your prayers as well.  

You are not alone if you are lonely 
When you feel afraid, you're not the only
We are all the same, in need of mercy
To be forgiven and be free
It's all you got to lean on but thank God it's all you need

And all the people said Amen
And all the people said Amen
Give thanks to the Lord for His love never ends
At the top of your lungs sing it with me again
And all the people said Amen!       


Publishing: © 2011 Thankyou Music (PRS) (adm. worldwide at EMICMGPublishing.com excluding Europe which is adm. By Kingswaysongs) / Songs of Razor and Tie / Paulmoakhas (ASCAP) / trever morgan music (ASCAP)
Writer(s): Matt Maher, Paul Moak, Trevor Morgan

http://www.catholic.com/quickquestions/what-exactly-does-amen-mean

A final prayer summarizing the 'Pocket Prayer':




No comments:

Post a Comment