Wednesday, January 7, 2015

BEFORE AMEN (Lucado) - I Need Help

Post based on Max Lucado's book, BEFORE AMEN: The Power of a Simple Prayer, 2014.
Daddy. You are good.  I need help. Heal and forgive me.  They need help.  Thank you. Amen.

CHAPTER 4:  I NEED HELP
Key Lucado quotes from chapter:
  • How many disasters would be averted if we'd go first, in faith, to Jesus?
  • An unprayed-for problem is an embedded thorn.  It festers and infects all around.  
  • Let go and let God.  Resist the urge to reclaim the problem once you've given it up. 
  • Jesus says, 'Bring your problems to me.'  State them simply.  Present them faithfully, and trust him reverently.   
1.7.15  Give God the Load
Philippians 4:6 MSG
Don't fret or worry.  Instead of worrying, pray.  Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns.  
1 Peter 5:7  VOICE
Since God cares for you, let Him carry all your burdens and worries.
     I need help.  What a simple prayer.  What a powerful prayer.  It acknowledges before our Abba-Dada that we are children who need help.  God can provide that help.  We ask.  Think of the assurance we had as kids when we finally brought an issue of concern before our parents, knowing they could help solve the problem.  The relief that someone with more knowledge and insight would have our back.  God can provide that relief and assurance if we simple take our worries and concerns, even the petty everyday problems, and lay them before Abba.  
     As I write my prayers and concerns on this prayer drawing, I give to God the anxiety and worry of these friends and family, the hurts and pains, the upcoming surgeries, the brokenness, the cancers.  All of it is given to God as I write the names.  Amen.   
     
1.8.15   Let Go. Let God.
John 2:1-8 MSG  
Jesus' mother told him, 'They're just about out of wine.'  Jesus said, ....'This isn't my time....'  Mary went ahead anyway, telling the servants, 'Whatever he tells you, do it.'
       We often focus on what Jesus did on this occasion of his first miracle.  But Mary proves the power of a simple prayer in this instance.  She comes to Jesus with a problem: the hosts are about out of wine.  She doesn't complain, she doesn't blame or accept blame, she isn't critical of the situation, she doesn't tell Jesus what to do.  She simply states the problem.  And then what does Mary do?  She WALKS AWAY!  It is now out of her hands.  She lets go of the matter and walks away to let God go to work.  (Although she does tell the servants to do what Jesus says - she knows before Jesus knows himself that he will act!)
      We've all heard the saying, 'Let go and let God."  But for many of us, it is a Let go - let God - take it back - let go - take it back again type of situation.  We want to tell God how to fix it.  We want to blame others first.  We are impatient for a NOW solution.  So...reconsider  part two of this prayer: God is good.  God knows the best solution.  Let God handle it.  But stay in communication - God might give us a little responsibility in the resolution.  But the problem itself?  It belongs to God.  We gave it away.  Don't try to take it back! 

1.9.15  Persistence
Luke 18:7-8 GNT   
...Will God not judge in favor of his own people who cry to him day and night for help?  Will he be slow to help them?  I tell you, he will judge in their favor and do it quickly....
    This verse is part of the story of the woman who asked daily for justice and the corrupt judge finally relented just to quiet her.  Sometimes the squeaky wheel really does work!  This isn't a form of nagging God, but just simple reminders that the problem still exists - and that we are patiently waiting for God's resolution...in God time.  Why persistent patience?  Again, back to step 2, God is good and God knows best!  
     I have several individuals on my prayer list that I pray for each day.  I am not particularly close to them.  I have no idea how God might answer my prayers, but I know that each one of them can use God's intervention in their lives.  So I ask daily for God to be present for them.  Years in the future I MIGHT discover my prayers were answered.  I may never know.  But I will know that I was persistent in my simple request.  And I know that God is listening.





No comments:

Post a Comment