Friday, December 5, 2014

PRAYERS from Bandon and Beyond

FRIDAY, December 5   
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 MSG
 Be cheerful no matter what; pray all the time; thank God no matter what happens. This is the way God wants you who belong to Christ Jesus to live.

     Midway through November I signed up on line for a 40 Day Prayer Challenge.  I coincided with the release of Max Lucado's new book, Before Amen.  I can home from Bandon to find my copy waiting for me on the front porch.  An online file of 'Pocket Prayers' was also available while I have been using.  Plus I pulled out my two books of Celtic Prayers from the Iona community.  No lack of resources!  The goal is simple: spend a concentrated 5 minutes each day in dedicated prayer.  This coincided well with my just finished book, Can't You Speak Louder, God?, as I think prayer is one of the best ways to hear God's voice.  
     I spent time in Bandon recently composing a variety of prayer drawings: labyrinths, flames, ferns, shells.  As I recently led a brief workshop at the church on 'drawing our prayers' it was especially fun to see postings appear from some of the women after the class!  
     So...for a couple days here I will share some of the current prayers in preparation for Advent devotions beginning on Sunday!  






SATURDAY, December 6
        Another early morning spent in creative prayer.  I used both my Iona prayer book as well as the Celtic Benediction book, both by Newell.  And then I finished the Intercessory Prayer I began in Bandon - an unending path of names and places from the past week events.  I like making this kind of prayer early in a week and then revisiting it gradually to pattern and then color.  That way I can pray again for those people as I go.  
       Today is a busy day for me: craft fair, work at Crossroads Make n' Take, work Bountiful Baskets, Greening of the Church, parade, Chili Feed, and then a stop at Earth & Vine to relax and enjoy the music of the Sizers.  My living room is still in a state of chaos from moving furniture for the tree, putting up nativities, etc.  But this morning, I have tried to carve out a half hour of calm and reflection.  I found part of Newell's closing prayer for Saturday morning especially apt for today:
In the busyness of this day grant me stillness of seeing, O God.
In the conflicting voices of my heart grant me a calmness of hearing. 
Let my seeing and hearing, my words and actions,
Be rooted in a silent certainty of your presence..... Amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment