Monday, December 15, 2014

CHRISTMAS PRAYER PICTURES

SATURDAY, December 27
     Today I prayed for everyone from whom we have received Christmas cards this year - it was a chance to review the cards and say a brief prayer for each as I penned their names into the 'card tree'.  Also included on the lights are special prayers for healing and strength.  
Christmas Card Prayers
FRIDAY, December 26
     Well, this has been an eventful week of prayers!  On Christmas Eve Jed went in for emergency surgery to remove a ruptured appendix.  Prayers were drawn while sitting in the hospital room at Grande Ronde Hospital in LaGrande - where we found a surgeon and a hospital with 'room in the inn'.  Recovery has been slower than hoped since it burst, so plenty of time for reflection.  In these prayers I have often included the names of those from whom we received Christmas cards in the past few days, as well as the names of nurses and doctors.  Our gratitude and thanks has been overflowing for all the support and prayers we have received.  
December 23 - Just a simple labyrinth prayer
A Christmas Day prayer - drawn in the hospital
Christmas Labyrinth Prayer - drawn and colored in the hospital

Sunday, December 21
     In honor of this week's LOVE theme, I found heart shaped Celtic knot design.  Within the interlocking hearts themselves I've written the words of a Christmas blessing on the magic of Christmas.  Prayers are within the outer heart, held within the bounds of God's great love.  The inner heart is me as an individual...tightly knit into God's love.  A nice spot to be.  
 And another design I did this morning....I think the candy cane stripes and the blue snowflake background look a bit more like an American flag than Christmas, but...maybe that's ok too!

Wednesday, December 17
     Last night was the Longest Night Service at the church.  While the intent is for those who find the holiday season a struggle due to loss or past memories, I enjoy the light and dark of the moment, the reminder of the dark of winter, the dark of our separation from God, and the lighting of the candles.  I simply love candlelight services and the brilliant glow of simple light in a room of darkness.  
     I lit three candles.  The first for my brother Mac and for all those who suffer from addictions.  So many friends also pray for family members who experience this daily struggle.  The second I lit for my sister Liz, remembering all who are undergoing treatment for a broad range of cancers and illnesses.  The third I lit for my Mom, for Rick's Mom, and all who are aging, as they struggle for the independence they once knew, a body that betrays them.  I pray for all who are caregivers and for those who mourn parents recently gone.   
     May our candles burn bright in the darkness.  My prayer drawing became the advent candles of Hope, Peace, Joy, and Love, firmly centered with the Christ candle in the middle. The three candles in each section represent the three I lit. 
  


Tuesday, December 16
     I had a list of new names to include in prayers from church on Sunday, and then Luke called last night to add Michelle L to the list - one of his PYGs who had suffered a second concussion in a sporting event.  He was at the ER with her and her family.  I wanted to draw ASAP for Michelle, but also for names that needed healing, suffered from addictions, were traveling, as well as some of our joy from the weekend.  The result is this 'Christmas Tree' themed Advent Prayer. 


Monday, December 15...
     We returned from our 'graduation trip' to Denver, Colorado late Saturday night, having spent a whirlwind couple of days visiting Chien Jack Ho, our Taiwanese Rotary Exchange student from 2005, who has been an integral part of our family ever since!  We had the opportunity to meet Jack's parents from Taiwan and meet his girlfriend, Mandy (Yu Ju Chen).  But....I also spent my spare time and devotional time in the drawing of some Advent centered prayers and researching Celtic Christmas prayers.  I found some 'good stuff'!
      This first design is inspired by Celtic Spirituality concepts in the interlinking of various aspects of life and the unending flow of God's grace and prayer.  The red band scripts a Celtic Advent prayer, the green band mostly world situations for prayer and the yellow bands the names of family and friends I am for whom I am praying. 

      I hadn't created any mandala style prayers for some time and I was itching to do so.  In fact, this one got started in the car on the way to the Boise airport on Thursday!  It was intended to just be a light-hearted design with an assortment of Christmas symbols and pictures: holly, snowflakes, trees, candy canes, etc.  I originally had the words to a Celtic prayer around the edges, but the spacing didn't work out right.  So now...just a simple Christmas 'Joy to the World!'  Prayers can be found in the outer rim of the holly leaves. 



      Once I got to making mandalas again, I couldn't stop.  I thought a series of three would be good: The Shepherds, The Birth, The Kings!  All include the prayers of the week.  All include the Bethlehem Star.  The Kings was drawn while sitting in the Denver airport waiting for a late flight home.  We were getting a little rummy and I made the mistake of asking my sons for advice on what a fourth wiseman/king might have brought to the baby Jesus.  While the Bible focuses on the royal nature of the gifts, my sons thought BABY!  It was Jed who said he needed a King Herod 'Jack in the Box'!  I'm not sure I can even comment on the Biblical significance of that! 
Advent Prayers from the Shepherd's Fields
Advent Prayers from the Stable
Advent Prayers with a Visit by the Kings

















No comments:

Post a Comment