Monday, December 8, 2014

JOY: d365 Advent Devotions

In hope, in trust, in thanksgiving, in JOY let us lay our hearts before God. (d365.org - Shelli Latham)

MONDAY, December 8    Christ-Light
John 1:6-8 MSG
There once was a man, his name John, sent by God to point out the way to the Life-Light. He came to show everyone where to look, who to believe in. John was not himself the Light; he was there to show the way to the Light.
      When it is really dark, the light of a single candle, a cell phone or match, can appear to be a blinding ray, a dazzling beam, HOPE twinkling bright.  Our fears abate.  John came to be that single candle, to proclaim a LIGHT that would pierce the anguish of hearts, the darkness of sorrow, the pain of sin.  The single flame of John illuminated the way for the people to be ready for the glorious sunrise of Christ that was to follow.  
     As I watch the collective glow of my Christmas tree lights twinkle and shine, I remember how the single light of Christ in each one of us becomes that sunrise in our world.  God has given a flicker of that Christ-Light to each of us.  What joy it can be in my world when I let my light shine, when together our lights illuminate our community in radiance and love. 
O Christ...Kindle in my heart within a flame of love for my neighbor, my foe, my friend, my kindred all. ... Kindle in my heart within a flame of love.  Amen. 
(Celtic Benediction - J. Philip Newell)     

TUESDAY, December 9  Substitutes
John 1:26-27 GNT
John answered, “I baptize with water, but among you stands the one you do not know. 27 He is coming after me, but I am not good enough even to untie his sandals.”
       John the Baptizer was a 'substitute' teacher.  He was good, but nothing like the 'real thing'.  The people responded, but it wasn't with the same passion and intimacy they felt when in the presence of Jesus himself.  
       None of us are worthy enough or good enough to fill Christ's shoes.  Yet, that is the very call we have been given: to be the hands and feet, the action and response, or Christ in the world today.  We are substitutes for Christ - the teacher is not physically present!  As one who has filled the job of substitute teacher often in my life, it is not an easy position!  You don't know the class as well (God alone knows each heart!), you don't know the material as well (I can't quote Scripture or Biblical history!), but we do our best, knowing the master teacher has left good plans for us and has expectations that we will get the job done until they return. 
     When I look around the world today, I sometimes wonder if we have let the class get out of control.  As we prepare for Advent, perhaps it is a good opportunity to check in with our Teacher and reconnect with the lesson.  
       In this season of gift-giving, may I respond to this line from today's Celtic prayer:  May I be pregnant with the Spirit of Generosity, may I know that greater than the barrenness in the world is the harvest to be justly shared. Amen. (Celtic Benediction - J. Philip Newell)  

WEDNESDAY, December 10  Celebration in Sorrow
Psalm 126:2-3 GNT
How we laughed, how we sang for joy!
    Then the other nations said about us,
    “The Lord did great things for them.”
Indeed he did great things for us;
    how happy we were!

        "Joy can be abundant even when happiness is absent".  "Celebration can live simultaneously with sorrow".  These two quotes from d365 author Shelli Latham caught my eye today.  We often equate happiness and joy as equal words, but it seems to me that happiness is a more temporary state while joy is more of an approach-to-life state of being.  When we recount the many times God has been active in our lives, we have cause for celebration and joy.  Moments of darkness can be moments of joy when the hope of God's intervention is a part of it all.  
        It is a dark time of year.  Many become depressed with the long nights, the pressures of the season.  But we can be filled with joy knowing that the God of Light is coming.  We can celebrate that God comes to us every day in unimaginable ways!  
O Sun behind all suns, O Soul within all souls
Grant me the grace of the dawn's glory
Grant me the strength of the sun's rays
That I may be well in my own soul 
And part of the world's healing this day. (Celtic Benediction - J. Philip Newell)  

THURSDAY, December 11  
Isaiah 61:1-3 GNT excerpts
The Sovereign Lord has filled me with his Spirit.
He has chosen me and sent me
To bring good news...to heal...to free...to proclaim...
To comfort...to give...

       This is the passage from Isaiah that Jesus later quotes at the beginning of his ministry.  It challenges us to action - more than joyful songs of praise to God for all His blessings, but a response to live out our joy by sharing it with others.  Every RAK, every small moment of service, every time we share our time and talents for the benefit of others, we are responding to the Spirit within, we are expressing our joy. The Advent Season is filled with opportunities to be sent out in joy.  May we keep our focus on the sharing and time spent healing, comforting, and giving.  
Bless to me O God the earth beneath my feet. 
Bless to me O God the path on which I go. 
Bless to me O God the people whom I meet.
O God of all gods may your Spirit in me grow. (Adapted from Celtic Prayers by Newell)

We are off for the next few days to Jack's college graduation in Denver, CO.  The laptop is not traveling with me, so I will spend my morning time in creative prayer.  Back on Sunday to finish this week's JOY!

SUNDAY, December 14  
1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 GNT
 May the God who gives us peace make you holy in every way and keep your whole being—spirit, soul, and body—free from every fault at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.   He who calls you will do it, because he is faithful.   
    My list of God-Grace-Gifts is only 20 away from reaching the 'half-way' point of 500.  I am finding my list the fuel that feeds my soul, the faithfulness of God repeated every day in a myriad of ways.  We just returned from Denver and Jack's college graduation.  What a joyful celebration of persistence, meeting Jack's parents and girlfriend, enjoying the beauty of Colorado's Garden of the Gods and perfect, albeit abnormal, December weather.  God has been at work in Jack's life and will continue to be there for him.  
     If the grace of seeing were mine this day I would glimpse you in all that lives.  Grant me the grace of seeing this day.  Grant me the grace of seeing. Amen.   (Celtic Benediction by J Philip Newell)



   

No comments:

Post a Comment