Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Lent 2016 - Week 4: HOLY IDENTITY

All devotions are based on BE HOLY - A Lenten Devotion by Brian Coulter and published by Presbyterian Today.  


2.29.16 Monday  Luke 9:18-20  MSG
One time when Jesus was off praying by himself, his disciples nearby, he asked them, “What are the crowds saying about me, about who I am?”  They said, “John the Baptizer.  Others say Elijah.  Still others say that one of the prophets from long ago has come back.”  He then asked, “And you – what are you saying about me?  Who am I?”

            Who is Jesus?  Our answer not only determines Jesus’ role, but ours as well.  Are we a follower?  A student of the Teacher?  Are we sheep of the Shepherd or branches of the Vine?  A holy question with a holy answer.  Who am I?  What is my identity as a holy child of God? 
            If I have to answer this question to Jesus, my answer has to be, “You are the son of God; you are a part of God that God has chosen to reveal to us.  You are our example of what relationship with God can be.  You are holy. 
            What is my role in my answer?  Who am I?

Jesus the Messiah….who am I?  Amen. 

3.1.16  Tuesday  Romans 11:16-18  MSG
Behind and underneath all this there is a holy, God-planted, God-tended root.  If the primary root of the tree is holy; there’s bound to be some holy fruit.  … you are now fed by that rich and holy root…you aren’t feeding the root; the root is feeding you. 

            I am a branch in the holy tree of God, sustained by God, fed and nourished by God.  My branches are holy because my roots are holy.  I am fed through scripture, prayer, fellowship, and worship.  I am nourished with song, service, and sharing.  I am nourished by the God-root.  How will I bloom?  What kind of branches am I producing? 

Rooted in Christ….branched out for God.  Amen. 




3.2.16  Wednesday  1 Thessalonians 4:7 MSG
God hasn’t invited us into a disorderly, unkempt life but into something holy and beautiful – as beautiful on the inside as the outside. 

          We have a beauty within us, a holy beauty, that must be shared with the parts of our world that aren't so beautiful.  We must share the love, the glory, the wonder of God to combat the distrust, hatred, abuse, and apathy that constantly lurk in our world today.  Heavens knows, you only have to look at the US political scene currently in process to know a little beauty, a little holy, is needed!  

God, help me….to reflect an inner beauty to a sometimes ugly,  outside world.  Amen.  

  
3.3.16  Thursday  
Deuteronomy 7:6  MSG
You are a people set apart as holy to God, your God.  God, your God, chose you out of all the people on Earth for himself as a cherished, personal treasure. 

            I am a treasure of God.  Treasured.  Valued.  Cherished.  Wow!  That is an overwhelming thought.  Society has its means of valuation and measurement, but God’s ways are totally different.  We are set apart as holy, chosen as holy, cherished as holy.  How will we manifest our holiness?  How will we share it? 


God chose me….I choose God.  Amen. 


3.4.16  Friday  
Colossians 3:12-14  MSG
So, chosen by God for this new life of love, dress in the wardrobe God picked out for you: compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline.  Be even-tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an offense.  Forgive as quickly and completely as the Master forgave you.  And regardless of what else you put on, wear love.  It’s your basic, all-purpose garment.  Never be without it.

Love.  It’s the "little black dress" of God’s wardrobe.  The all-occasion, can’t go wrong outfit.  The rest of the wardrobe is important, but without love we won’t win any fashion show. 
(I find it ironic that I write about fashion.  Me…who spends most of my life in thrift store jeans and t-shirts.  But…..I DO have a little black dress.  Perhaps I should wear it more often.  Or, better yet, could blue jeans also be the all-purpose garment of love?  THAT’s a love-wardrobe I could readily adopt!)
   
The message is clear.  Love is holy.  Love is never the wrong answer or the wrong choice.  

Holy God,…..clothe me well.  


3.5.16 Saturday  Isaiah 62:12 MSG
Zion will be called new names: Holy People, God-Redeemed, Sought-Out, City-Not-Forgotten. 
           God's job is redemption.  God is a life-saver. God breaks people out of prison and sets them free.  We don't always see this side of God, unless we have been held captive by circumstance or been drowning in the waters of life and really experienced the redeeming power of the Almighty. We may not have recognized God in the mini acts of redemption carried out on a daily basis: forgiveness for the sins of omission, those gentle nudges to act or follow-through, the chance encounters that in hindsight made all the difference.  All God at work.  Being God is an enormous job.  I'm glad our Redeemer is up to it!   

Redeeming God….set me free.  Amen.




3.6.16 Fourth Sunday in Lent
Isaiah 43:2 MSG
“Don’t be afraid.  I’ve redeemed you.  I’ve called your name.  You’re mine. 

            Our call to holiness is individual.  God has called each of us by name, God knows each of us by name.  The call is unique for each of us, tailored to the gifts we have been given.  My holy is not the same as another’s holy.  But together we can reflect the holiness of our Creator in more ways and to a greater degree.  May we seek our brand of holy, may we hear the call, may we share those gifts.

Holy, holy, holy…..what is my unique call?

No comments:

Post a Comment