Saturday, February 6, 2016

SCRIPTURE MEDITATIONS - February 2016

WEEK TWO....

2.7.16 Sunday  Romans 15:30
 I have one request, dear friends: Pray for me. Pray strenuously with and for me—to God the Father.......that I will be delivered from the lions’ den of unbelievers in Judea.
     Reading the first half of this verse, I thought 'Paul is being a little egotistical..one request is to pray for self?'  Yet all translations go on to say...in my next endeavors or in the trials to come.  Paul knows he is going to face difficult times and he is confident that prayer can see him through.  It isn't ego speaking, but faith.  Faith in the power of prayer.  

       About three weeks ago, a member of our congregation made a similar request.  She was about to undergo cancer treatments and asked for our prayers.  She knew the prayers of the people could help her through.  I rejoiced when she called this week to share the doctor's news:  no trace of cancer left!  The power of prayer.  It was exciting for me to know that one of the many names on my drawings had received the desired answer to prayer (God always answers eventually, just not always as WE want!)

May I continue to spend time each day in prayer, knowing you, Lord, are present and at work; knowing my prayers are being answered each day.  Awaken me to see the answers, to see my prayers at work.  Strengthen my faith in the power of prayer.  Amen.  

2.8.16 Monday  Psalm 145:2
Generation after generation stands in awe of your work;
    each one tells stories of your mighty acts. MSG


     I am skipping the suggested verse for today because I wanted to 'record' some information on 'The Power of Awe', an article I found in a Good Housekeeping Magazine!  The article concentrates on the healing power of awe and wonder - moments that can take our breath away.  The Old Testament speaks of holy awe, or a reverent awe of the power and might of God. Personally I think the two can often be the same, as our Creator God is the source of what many might consider 'ordinary' awe.  

     Scientifically, awe is defined by two elements according to Melanie Rudd, awe researcher.  "First, you feel you have encountered something vast in size, complexity or power.....and second, the experience must change your perspective in some way."  In nonscientific terms, awe blows your mind away!   It "takes you off autopilot and makes you feel you are in the presence of something bigger than you, but that you are also connected to this bigger thing."

BENEFITS OF AWE:
  1. Awe expands your sense of time. 
  2. Awe can bond you to others. 
  3. Awe may make you healthier.  
HOW TO PUT MORE AWE INTO YOUR LIFE:
  • Chase what inspires you. 
  • Zero in on details.
  • Do something new.
  • Take mini awe breaks. 
  • Try big stuff too.
  • Spend time with kids. 
  • Reflect on past moments of awe. 

What a beautiful thought....to live in a state of holy awe!   
"The Power of Awe" by Jennifer King Lindley, Good Housekeeping Magazine, January 2016. 

 2.9.16 Tuesday  Psalm 63:3
Your constant love is better than life itself,    and so I will praise you. GNT

   Constant, steadfast love deserves recognition.  It commands gratitude and praise.  Awe and wonder can remind us of and put us into a holy state, but to be wrapped in the arms of a loving God all the time is worthy of our utmost praise, glory, and honor.  We can't give God credit enough.  We can't praise enough.  We can't say thank you enough.  
Open my eyes today to see those moments of God-love that happen over and over.  Open my mouth to declare my praise and thanks.  Open my heart to share that love with others.  Amen.  

2.10.16  Wednesday  Proverbs 15:4
Kind words heal and help;
    cutting words wound and maim. MSG


     Our words matter.  The childhood adage of 'sticks and stones may break bones, but words will never hurt' is so untrue.  I think it was meant as a positive statement from the receiver...'I won't allow you to tear me down'.  But in truth, words can destroy.  Emotional and verbal abuse can be devastating.  Sometimes it becomes so much the norm that both sides accept it as how life is.  But no.  We don't have to speak to each other in harsh ways.  Kindness can work wonders.  And sometimes, we say words that we don't realize hurt.  We unintentionally hurt because we don't realize the pain hidden inside another.  
     I watched a video clip on Facebook the other day where a man suddenly received glasses that let him know the 'back story' behind those he encountered.  He could see the hidden sufferings and pain.  What a difference it suddenly made in how he treated those he met.  If we assume everyone has some back story of pain, words of encouragement can always help. 

Lord, may I stop and think how might words are perceived before I utter them; may I treat everyone as needing a kind word of encouragement and strive to uplift all I encounter during the day.  Amen. 

Today is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of the Lenten Season, six weeks leading up to Holy Week and the Resurrection of Christ.  I am going to suspend my daily scripture meditations for this period and turn to the Presbyterian Today devotional, BE HOLY, written by Brian Coulter.  Scripture Meditations will resume the end of March after Easter!  

WEEK ONE....

2.1.16 Monday   Nehemiah 1:11
O Master, listen to me, listen to your servant’s prayer—and yes, to all your servants who delight in honoring you.  GNT
     Hear me, God.  Listen to my prayer.  Answer me with success.  Nehemiah wants the king's blessing and beseeches God to listen!  
     How often do we tell God what WE want!  Listen to me, God!  NOW!  I want something!  So rarely do WE do the listening and ask the question, 'What do YOU want, God?'   

May I spend more time during my prayers listening for God's desires in addition to my intercessory prayers for others.  

2.2.16 Tuesday    James 1:17

Every desirable and beneficial gift comes out of heaven. The gifts are rivers of light cascading down from the Father of Light.  MSG      
      Every good gift comes from heaven.  Gifts of relationships, gifts of opportunities, gifts of beauty and pleasure, gifts of assurance and comfort.  All from God.  Every day.  Do we open the gifts?  Do we acknowledge the giver?  
      I love the image of rivers of light....I can visualize the unending and flowing source of God bounty, a continual blessing.  Perhaps it is time to voice a 'thank you' card of gratitude to God, the giver.  

So often our prayers are a litany of intercession, desires, and requests, God.  May we remember to offer our praise and gratitude for the ever-flowing river of grace that cascades down upon us.  Thank you, God.  

2.3.16 Wednesday    Psalm 53:2

God sticks his head out of heaven.
    He looks around.
He’s looking for someone not stupid—
    one man, even, God-expectant,
    just one God-ready woman. MSG


     Peterson's The Message translates this verse in MUCH blunter speech - stupid, expectant, ready.  The Good News version is a little more subtle: "...any who are wise,  any who worship him."  God is seeking God's people: those who will respond and act, those who worship and praise, those who expectantly are prepared to receive the grace God is so ready to bestow.  Is ANYONE out there?  Sometimes we wonder!  Am I truly a 'God-ready' woman at all times?  

Lord, may your grace fill my heart that I am prepared and God-ready to do your work on earth.  May you look with favor and say 'here is a group of people ready to do my will'.  May I be one of the 'anyones'.  


2.4.16 Thursday  Ephesians 6:24 
May God's grace be with all those who love our Lord Jesus Christ with undying love. GNT
May His grace surround all who love our Lord Jesus...with a never-ending love. VOICE

     I had to include both translations of this final verse from Ephesians because somehow, for me, there is a difference between grace that surrounds and grace that just....is.  I love the image of being SURROUNDED by GRACE.  I guess it is like being surrounded with love; being in the presence of God; life in the Kingdom of Heaven.  There are many ways, perhaps, to describe the state of oneness with our Creator.  But whatever words we use, such grace is a desirable blessing!  

Surround me, Lord, with your love, grace, and presence that I might be strengthened to love and be a blessing to those I encounter.  Amen. 


2.5.16 Friday  Proverbs 21:4

Wicked people are controlled by their conceit and arrogance, and this is sinful. GNT      
     Well, that verse doesn't mince any words!  Other translations aren't any 'gentler'.  Conceit and arrogance are sinful.  Period.  And we all commit this 'sin' at some point or another.  While some may sin more flagrantly than others in this area, we ALL have those moments at some point when we think we are better than others, when OUR concerns and needs become more important.  Humility is a tough virtue to achieve.  

Forgive me, God, when I turn inward and think only of self, when my actions preclude the feelings of others and I hurt people with my arrogance. Hear my prayers this day.  Amen. 

2.6.16 Saturday  Amos 5:14

Seek good and not evil—
    and live!
You talk about God, the God-of-the-Angel-Armies,
    being your best friend.
Well, live like it,
    and maybe it will happen.  MSG
     

     The first thing that came to my mind when I read 'seek good' was Heather Linde's recent book, given to us by our CAV friends, Clint & Kathy.  In the book (the title of which escapes me but it has to do with making lemonade!), obituary writer Linde speaks of finding the good, the beautiful, in the lives of the people she writes about.  Obviously in our personal actions we must seek to do what is honorable and right - 'good' - but if we look for the same in our encounters and relationships, we will find it!  Life WILL be better!  We will find, not just good things, but God's presence as well!  


   So,  I just did a Google search.  Linde's book is simply called FIND THE GOOD.  But it does have a lemon on the cover!  Amazon summarizes the book:  
As the obituary writer in a spectacularly beautiful but often dangerous spit of land in Alaska, Heather Lende knows something about last words and lives well lived. Now she’s distilled what she’s learned about how to live a more exhilarating and meaningful life into three words: find the good. It’s that simple--and that hard.
     Lemons are very appropriate for today.  In my 'Bountiful Basket' last night I must have received at total of 15 tiny little lemons.  An abundance!  While they sit on the counter this week, may they remind me to  'seek the good' constantly! 

     God, may I not only find the good in others, but strive to affirm it as well in a personal way.  Short affirmations can be moments of grace in the lives of others and opportunities to affirm your presence as well.  Amen.  

















  

No comments:

Post a Comment