Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Lent 2016 BE HOLY: Week 2 Source of Holiness

Monday, February 15
Psalm 77:13  MSG
O God! Your way is holy!
    No god is great like God!

      How do we know what holy looks like?  We look to the source of holy - God.  God is great; God works miracles; God forgives; God restores.  How can we be holy in a similar fashion?  How can our way mimic God's way?  That is a big challenge.  Yesterday in church as I listened to the sermon while sitting at the piano tucked in a back corner of the chancel, it occurred to me that it is easy to talk holy in generalities.  But the challenge is to be holy in the messy details of life. To be holy in last minute calls to play piano for worship.  To be holy in care-taking, to be holy in hauling food up and down stairs.    It is in the day-to-day living that we can use God's example for living a sacred life.  
Great God....God of wonder...make your way my way.  Amen.  

Tuesday, February 16

Matthew 7:6 MSG
“Don’t be flip with the sacred. Banter and silliness give no honor to God. Don’t reduce holy mysteries to slogans. In trying to be relevant, you’re only being cute and inviting sacrilege.
     The Message provides a bit more circumspect language here.  The Common English Bible simply says, 'Don't give what is holy to the dogs'.  Now, dog lovers may take offense at that, but the essence is - don't abuse that which is holy.  Holiness is a gift from God, it IS God.  We must treat it as such.  That means protecting and valuing all that is holy - each other, Creation, and God's commands.  What holy parts of my life do I fail to protect?  Do I abuse the sacred?  
Jesus, help me.... protect the holy.  Amen.  



Wednesday, February 17

Ephesians 1:4 MSG
Long before he laid down earth’s foundations, he had us in mind, had settled on us as the focus of his love, to be made whole and holy by his love.
     Chosen by God.  To be made holy.  God chose me.  And you.  And the Jews. And the Arabs.  One God.  Chose ALL.  Therefore, we must honor and respect God's choices....and honor and respect all.  What a fountain of blessing, what a fount of responsibility!  
     Today's drawing is in preparation for my Zendoodling Tessellation class tomorrow night at Crossroads.  I had to try a few patterns out and decided to combine my efforts. 
 
Fount of every blessing....thanks for choosing me.  Amen.  


Thursday, February 18
1 Corinthians 6:11 GNT
That is what some of you used to be! But you were washed clean, you were made holy to God, and you were made right with God in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.
     God is the active DO-er here.  God washed us, God made us right through Christ.  Nothing WE do makes us holy alone; we need the action of God.  We can't boast of our holiness, we must truly feel humble by it.  And then use such gifts for the glory of God.  
Gifts shared in humility not arrogance are true offerings. 
     Another Zoodle today...class tonight!  
Christ in Spirit....humble my spirit.  Amen.  

Friday, February 19
Leviticus 20:7-8 GNT 
Keep yourselves holy, because I am the Lord your God.  Obey my laws, because I am the Lord and I make you holy.”
     Rules to obey.  The text from Leviticus is from the Exodus period when the Israelites were struggling to discover what kind of life God meant.  The Ten Commandments were set.  The entire book of Leviticus lists laws to guide the people.   God promised a better life.  What did that life look like?  How do we find that life of freedom and joy, community and love today? It is a holy life; a life set apart by God.  How can we better live this life we have been given?
  You are my Savior....show me a better life. Amen. 

Saturday, February 20
Proverbs 20:25 CEB
It is a snare to say rashly, “It is holy,”
    and only reflect after making the promise.

          I had a little trouble understanding this proverb, and the various translations only helped a little.  The Message writes it, "An impulsive vow is a trap;  later you’ll wish you could get out of it".  We cannot act rashly.  Haste can indeed make holy waste.  There must be intentional actions on my part, well-considered and thought out, that will help me realize the holy that God has placed within me.  I am attempting to be more intentional about sending cards of thanks or prayers, an action that will become even more important when Rick and I temporarily leave our faith community in the next few weeks.  I am trying to write down my God-moments each day or to draw a prayer.  Intentional actions that hopefully help keep me in touch with my inner holy, and help me to express and share that gift.  
Slow me down....my Lord and Guide. Amen.

Sunday, February 21
2 Corinthians 5:16-21 CEB
So then, if anyone is in Christ, that person is part of the new creation. The old things have gone away, and look, new things have arrived!
   I love transformation and metamorphosis.  I love drawings that in which the image slowly changes into something totally new.  In doing a little Google research on metamorphosis, I discovered the range of other creatures that undergo radical transformations in a physical way, from butterflies to lobsters, frogs to protozoa.    
    To become Christian is to be radically changed, the only difference for us is that this is a spiritual and emotional transformation.  Our physical beings are the same.  From the outside we LOOK as we always did.  But our actions reveal the changed NEW being on the inside.  What a gift from a loving God!  May we seek to see the positive changes in ourselves and others and honor the grace of God's abundance.   
Gifting God...create me anew.  Amen.   

No comments:

Post a Comment