Saturday, November 28, 2015

November Mandala Series

          From Veteran's Day until the end of the Thanksgiving weekend, I was traveling to California for a 60th Anniversary Celebration of the church in which my father was the organizing pastor and to Bandon, Oregon, to celebrate Thanksgiving with my family, Mom, and brother, Mac.  It was a time filled with sister fun, family, re-connections and memories.  It was a busy time.  I pretty much put my Ortberg book back in the pack and simply drew prayer mandalas throughout it all!  Eight mandalas with different themes, but all created from the one stencil I cut on Veteran's Day before I left.  It became an artistic challenge to see how many different styles, colors, and images I could create from that one stencil.  And yes, the prayers were important too!
Design No. 1  Veteran's Day.  Military branch colors.  

Design No. 2 ....visiting Judy Marshall and Rodgers enroute to Bandon to pick up my Mom and sister, Liz.  
Design No. 3    I was thinking rainbows here.  I think this was started in the hotel room in Yreka! 

Design No. 4  California inspiration.  Camellias from Margaret's yard, palm trees everywhere, and plenty of sunshine.  Dog prints in tribute to the four dogs commonly in residence at my sister's house. 

Design No. 5  I decided to put the prayers into the empty spaces rather than the lines.  Perhaps a bit of a Celtic look as I attempted to interweave many of the lines. 
Design No. 6    What would happen if the inside was black?  It was snowing in Baker City, hence the snowflakes, but also back to rainbow colors to try and brighten the prospects!  Threw a little Zentangle design in for fun. 
Design No. 7   GIVE THANKS!  Cornucopias, turkey drumsticks, and Gobble!  
Final Design No.8  Ode to Bandon by the Sea:  Waves, moonsets and sunsets, starfish and seaweed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment