Tuesday, February 25, 2014

D365.org: God-Power

INVOCATION...   (d365.org - Abby Thornton Hailey)
We are limited, every one of us. There is only so much we can know, so much we can do.
God is not like us. Limitless in time, space, and imagination, God is mighty in ways we cannot fully describe; we can only trust in God's unlimited power.
Power, in God's case, is expressed in unlimited love. Rest now in the all-encompassing love of the Almighty.

Sunday, March 2   Child of God
Psalms 2:7-9 CEB
I will announce the Lord’s decision:
    He said to me, “You are my son,
        today I have become your father.
Just ask me,
    and I will make the nations your possession;
    the far corners of the earth will be your property.
You will smash them with an iron rod;
    you will shatter them like a pottery jar.”


     'You are my son'.  This is the king of Israel speaking in Psalms.  He is in relationship with God, first and foremost.  God has granted him his power and leadership.  In the Transfiguration, God has spoken to those on the mountaintop, reminding them of Jesus' power through God.  
     D365 writer Abbey Thornton Hailey prays, 
"God, so many things go into making me who I am: my family, my DNA, my past, my culture, my personality. At the root of it all, however, I am your child. Let me live in a way that reflects who you are, shining forth from my core. Amen."
     First and foremost, I am a child of God.  That is the overriding heritage, the constant above all else.  May I reflect my upbringing, my culture, my family in all I do, but more than anything, may I reflect my God.  

Who am I?
McLean. Walker. Rembold. 
Scottish. Danish. German. English. American. 

Who am I?
Virginia. Ginger. Paprika. Sunkist.
Honey. Sweetheart. Mom.

Who am I?
Sister. Daughter. Grandchild.
Lover. Companion. Mother. 
Partner.  Friend. Confidant.  

Who am I?
Creator. Builder. Dreamer. 
Mender. Nurturer. Artist. Leader.

Who am I?
Brunette. Green-Eyed. Short.
Weathered. Active. Bubbly. 

Who am I?
Above all else...A Child of God. 
At my very core...A Child of God. 
Loved, blessed, and forgiven. 
And from this birthright
Comes the power to be
All that I am;
The power to reflect
A portion of all that God is. 
Shine, Ginger, Shine!


Saturday, March 1  Light and Dark
2 Peter 1:19 MSG
We couldn’t be more sure of what we saw and heard—God’s glory, God’s voice. The prophetic Word was confirmed to us. You’ll do well to keep focusing on it. It’s the one light you have in a dark time as you wait for daybreak and the rising of the Morning Star in your hearts. 
     Our d365 writer today reminds us that we are leaving the period of Epiphany,  marked by the light of God's glory, the light of the transfiguration, the light and hope of Christ.  Next week Lent begins.  Think denial, darkness, and doubt.  (Maybe dirge....most Lent hymns fall into this category in my book!)   In Lent we remember the times we have failed to remember the Christ who walks with us, the God who leads us, and the Spirit who dwells within us.  Peter reminds us to focus on the light during the tough times, to let Christ guide us through the darkness of trial and temptation.  
     May we seek and focus on the light and love of the Almighty: unlimited in glory, unlimited in power!!   
     
Friday, February 28    Truth
2 Peter 1:16-18 MSG
We weren’t, you know, just wishing on a star when we laid the facts out before you regarding the powerful return of our Master, Jesus Christ. We were there for the preview! We saw it with our own eyes: Jesus
resplendent with light from God the Father as the voice of Majestic Glory spoke: “This is my Son, marked by my love, focus of all my delight.” We were there on the holy mountain with him. We heard the voice out of heaven with our very own ears.
     I am realizing, hopefully not for the first time, that if I stay tuned to the world around me, I often find what I have daily written reinforced over and over.  Case in point:  Yesterday I watched Touched by an Angel for the first time in years!  I saw the angel glow, the God-Light radiate, when the words of the angel were God-inspired.  In another show I heard a character encourage another to fear not, to not let fear hold them back from realizing God's plan.  I've been working on a scribble mandala [not done yet! :(]  that incorporates not just Jesus, but Peter, James and John at the top of the mountain during the transfiguration.  Witnesses to the truth of the Gospel message. 
     God-power, every day, expressed in unlimited Love.  Pass it on.   

Thursday, February 27   Be Not Afraid!!
Matthew 17:6-8 MSG
When the disciples heard it, they fell flat on their faces, scared to death. But Jesus came over and touched them. “Don’t be afraid.” When they opened their eyes and looked around all they saw was Jesus, only Jesus.
     How many times in the Bible are we told to Fear Not!!  God tells us, angels tell us, Jesus tells us, we tell one another!  We are a fearful people, and we let our fears control us more often than we let God be in control.  We fear failure probably most of all, which means we fail to trust God.
     If I am to be transformed by God's unlimited love, I must trust God to do the metamorphosis.  I must believe in the ultimate power of the Almighty to do all things.  I must believe in MY power to do all things THROUGH God.  Fear Not!!  
  
(FYI...according to a Google Search, there are over 365 repetitions of something that means along the lines of fear not in the Bible!  One for every day of the year!  God must have known we'd need to hear it alot.) 

Wednesday, February 26  Dwelling Place
Matthew 17:4-5  GNT
 Peter spoke up and said to Jesus, “Lord, how good it is that we are here! If you wish, I will make three tents here, one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.”
 While he was talking, a shining cloud came over them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my own dear Son, with whom I am pleased—listen to him!” 
     Tents?  Other translations use the term shrine, memorial, tabernacle, or shelter.  Wow.  Seems to me there is a big difference between a tent and a tabernacle, a shelter and a shrine.  But the point is, Peter wants this moment to last.  He wants some permanency to the experience,  to remember and remain in the glory of God.  
     In moments of absolute glory and wonder, we don't often want to 'come down from the mountain' and do the dirty work.  But God made his point to Peter clear: 'Listen to Jesus!  He knows what he is doing!  His work is to be your work!  This glory will be with him, and with you!'
     And that transfiguring light is with us still, if we allow it to shine from within us, if we allow God to dwell in our tent.   May I take the glory as God in me and let it radiate as I work with and through God....and do some dirty work.  

Tuesday, February 25     
Matthew 17:1-2 MSG
Six days later, three of them saw that glory. Jesus took Peter and the brothers, James and John, and led them up a high mountain. His appearance changed from the inside out, right before their eyes. Sunlight poured from his face. His clothes were filled with light. 
     Transfigured.  Not a word we use much our common vocabulary.  I looked it up online and found two basic definitions.  The first means simply to change in outward form or appearance.  It is the second definition I love: to change so as to glorify, beautify or exalt!  We sometimes use the term metamorphosis (think caterpillar to butterfly!) 
     Jesus is not outwardly changed, but the transformation that takes place from within causes his momentary appearance to alter.  He dazzles with light!  (Remember watching Touched by an Angel and how the angels took on a glow when the power of God was working through them?)   There is no doubt for the watching disciples that they were in God's presence and something amazing was taking place. 
     Can those around us tell the difference when God is at work in us?  I like to think they can.  Maybe not quite in such an obvious lightning show, but we reflect God's glory when we fill ourselves with the power of God.  May I be so transfigured and may I see the light in others.  

(I'll include the following God-light, transfiguration scribbles until I get a new one drawn!)






BENEDICTION.....(D365.org - Abby Thornton Haily)
Strong is the light that comes from our Creator,
Maker of heaven and earth.
Long is the way that leads from now to forever,
Yet we are not left alone.
Wherever you go and however you travel,
The strong arm of God
Is taking you home.




























No comments:

Post a Comment