Sunday, June 10, 2012

Undivided

Sunday, June 10
Psalm 138:1-2 (The Message)
"Thank you!  Everything in me says 'Thank you!'  
    Angels listen as I sing my thanks. 
I kneel in worship facing your holy temple and say it again, 'Thank you!'
Thank you for your love, 
Thank you for your faithfulness."
     We live in a multi-tasking, technological world.  A new message beeps, the cell phone rings, the radio or TV blares out 'breaking news'.   How often do we give anything, much less God, our undivided attention?
     As I write, the TV is showing the finals of the French Open in tennis - not a normal morning practice, but unique to today. I feel a little hypocritical speaking of "uninterrupted" today! Yet allow our cell phones and technology to interrupt us constantly with real time information.  Even when we go to church to worship, we often have a mental list of things to arrange, people to check, choirs to lead, etc.  Our minds are NOT always focused on worship!
     When was the last time I gave God my "everything"?  My undivided everything?  The Good News Bible describes it "with ALL my heart". That's what God wants.  It's what he gives us over and over, holding us in close with love.  God's love is uninterrupted, undivided.  Do we return that love with the praise of complete thanksgiving? With our 'whole heart'?
     I commit to showing God my love with an uninterrupted, undivided time of giving thanks, of listening and hearing God.  What's your commitment?

No comments:

Post a Comment