Saturday, June 2, 2012

God Enjoys Creation

Saturday, June 2
Psalm 104:31-34  (The Message)
"The glory of God - let it last forever!
   Let God enjoy his creation!
He takes one look at earth and triggers an earthquake,
   Points a finger at the mountains, and volcanoes erupt. 
Oh, let me sing to God all my life long.
   Sing hymns to my God as long as I live!
Oh, let my song please him;
   I'm so pleased to be singing to God." 
     These are some of the final verses of Psalm 104, a glorious tribute to all of God's creation.  My first thought today upon reading this was the last verse from yesterday's scripture: [The Spirit] "keeps us present before God."  If we actively rejoice, celebrate, and praise God in everything, all parts of our life, how can we NOT stay present before him? Everything includes the beauty of creation from a glorious sunrise to the smallest of alpine wildflowers, from a simple smile to an act of compassion, from the mundane and trivial to the profound and extraordinary.  In all - acknowledge and thank God for his presence in our lives.  In so doing, we will find that we are ever present before God.
     My second thought came from the lines, "Let God enjoy his creation!"  "Let my song please him!"  "May the Lord be happy with what he's made!" (TEV)  God is real!  God has feelings!  WE can please God in our actions. God and God's reaction to his people seems to be of importance here, not just creation.   Verse 32 brings an image of God playing with Creation.  "I will build a mountain here.  Can I blow it up?  What would happen if I point my finger at that star?"  I like the image of a playful, childlike God.  It simplifies things down to what we can understand and comprehend!
     Let us sing to the Lord our songs of praise in everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment