Tuesday, July 14, 2015

CELTIC MEDITATIONS 2: Morning Prayer of Intercession & Thanksgiving

This week devotions will be based on the Morning Prayer of Thanksgiving and Intercession from J Phillip Newell's Celtic Benedictions Prayer Book.    All italicized, red text is directly from Newell's book.  

7.11.15  Ebb and Flow
Ecclesiastes 3:2  VOICE
For everything that happens in life – there is a season, a right time for everything under heaven….
SATURDAY MORNING PRAYER OF THANKSGIVING AND INTERCESSION:
For the night followed by the day
For the idle winter ground followed by the energy of spring
For the infolding of the earth followed by burst of unfolding
Thanks be to you, O God.
For rest and wakefulness, stillness and creativity, reflection and action
Thanks be to you.
Let me know in my own soul and body
The rhythms of creativity that you have established.
Let me know in my family and friendships
The disciplines of withdrawal and the call to engagement.
Let me know for my world the cycles of renewal
Given by you for healing and health;
The patterns of the seasons given by you for the birth of new life. (JPN)


Night and day.  Summer and winter.  Sleep and activity.  Meditation and service.  There is an ebb and flow rhythm to our lives that allows time for renewal, a pattern of repetition that echoes again and again through our days.  It allows us to recharge, to be spiritually filled, to reflect and then respond.  A cycle of left and right, giving and getting.  I especially like the line, ‘Let me know in my own soul and body the rhythms of creativity that you have established.’  How well I know how that works.  There are days when ideas just seem to flow forth unstoppable and you can’t seem to put pencil to paper fast enough.  And there are days when perhaps the time is best spent in quiet reading because the pencil simply cannot move and the mind is blank.  Thank you, God, for the ebb and flow, a time for everything….in YOUR time. 

7.12.15  SHOWERS OF LIGHT
Psalm 36:9 MSG
You’re a fountain of cascading light,
    and you open our eyes to light.

SUNDAY MORNING PRAYER:
Blessed are you, O Child of the Dawn,
for your light that dapples through creation
on leaves that shimmer in the morning sun
and in showers of rain that wash the earth. 
Blessed are you 
for the human spirit dappled with eternal light 
in its longings for love and birth
and its pain-filled passions and tears.
Blessed are you, O Christ,
for you awaken me to life. 
Blessed are you 
For you stir me to true desire.  (JPN)

          The past few days we have been drenched with showers.  While those involved with the major motorcycle rally may have seen these as a detraction, the ranchers and farmers in the valley are welcoming the rainfall with open arms.  They will see this rain as a blessing, as showers of heavenly light coming straight from the Creator.  The fields were dry and parched.  They have been renewed, washed, and filled.  
          I love the image of our lives being dappled with God-light, like the leaves reflecting the filtered light of the sun.  We filter God through our everyday life, never realizing that God doesn't dapple our life, but rather God is a floodlight that we seem to keep partially hidden. May we welcome the God-light to shine in our lives, may we reflect that light to others, and may we be drenched in the showery fountain of God's loving glory.  

7.13.15  Wind and Water
Psalm 46:1-3 GNT
God is our shelter and strength,
    always ready to help in times of trouble.
So we will not be afraid, even if the earth is shaken
    and mountains fall into the ocean depths;
even if the seas roar and rage,
    and the hills are shaken by the violence.

MONDAY MORNING PRAYER:
For the might of your wind on the waters
for the swelling of the open seas
and the rushing of crested waves
Thanks be to you, O God. 
For the strength of desire in my body
for the sap of life that flows 
and the yearnings for birth and abundance
Thanks be to you. 
Restore me in the image of your love this day
that the longings of my heart may be true. 
Restore me in the image of your love this day 
that my passions for life may be full.

           The might of the wind.  The swell of the sea. The froth of crested waves.  I sit and write this morning on the front porch of a historical forest service cabin tucked on a hillside between Granite and Olive Lake.  It is forested, calm and quiet.  Not particularly the setting for inspiration of ocean roar or the broad expanse of the sea.  I can’t see the ebb and flow of the waves as I do from my mom’s windows on the coast. But the wind?  That might be another issue.
            Baker County has had some fierce thunderstorms roll through in the past few days.  The skies darken and the wind picks up.  The first day it was from the east; the second the southwest.  Trees flailed their branches, and raindrops appeared far within the boundaries of covered shelter.  The wind has been unpredictable in direction, but mighty in its power. 
            The power of God is predictable.  We know God is able to control the elements and environment.  Yet how and where and when?  We know not.  So we believe.  We trust. We prepare with faith, knowing the might of the Almighty.  And in that knowing, lies the calm.  In that knowing, we find restoration. 


7.14.15 A Profuse Display
Luke 12:27 MSG
Walk into the fields and look at the wildflowers. They don’t fuss with their appearance—but have you ever seen color and design quite like it?

TUESDAY MORNING PRAYER:
The world is alive with your goodness, O God,
It grows green from the ground
And ripens into the roundness of fruit.
Its taste and its touch
Enliven my body and stir my soul.
Generously given, profusely displayed
Your graces of goodness pour forth from the earth.
As I have received so free me to give. 
As I have been granted so may I give.
               While I can’t say that I saw a great deal of edible fruit yesterday on the trail, I did see considerable evidence of God’s goodness in terms of wildflowers.  The varying colors and textures, patterns and designs, ‘profusely displayed’ all ‘enliven and stir my soul’.  God is constantly freely giving us the bounty of this world, freely giving the abundance of his love and grace.  As we receive, we must freely give back – to God and to others. 


7.15.15 Cleansing Colors
Psalm 51:10 VOICE
Create in me a clean heart, O God;
    restore within me a sense of being brand new.

WEDNESDAY MORNING PRAYER:
For the first showings of the morning light and the emerging outline of the day
Thanks be to you, O God.
For earth’s colours drawn forth by the sun
Its brilliance piercing clouds of darkness
And shimmering through leaves and flowing waters
Thanks be to you.
Show to me this day
Amidst life’s dark streaks of wrong and suffering
The light that endures in every person.
Dispel the confusions that cling close to my soul
That I may see with eyes washed by your grace
That I may see myself and all people
With eyes cleansed by the freshness of the new day’s light. (JPN)


               For earth’s colors drawn forth by the sun” – now there’s a phrase that calls to an artist.  Color!  Drawings!  Light and sunshine!  And then skip to the last lines of the prayer: “That I may see with eyes washed by your grace, …with eyes cleansed by the freshness of the new day’s light.” Cleansing light, colors washing clean, rainbows, baptism, and floods.  Renewal.  Hope.  In the midst of trials and suffering, in the midst of family upheavals and death, in the midst of darkness, light is pouring forth, colors of hope and newness are streaming into our lives.  That should put a smile on one’s face to start the day!  



7.16.15   Hunger & Thirst
Psalm 107:9 VOICE
He has quenched their thirst,
    and He has satisfied their hunger with what is good.

THURSDAY MORNING PRAYER:
That you formed my body in the darkness of the womb
And fashioned every creature from the soil of the earth
Thanks be to you, O God.
That you knitted into my senses
A thirst for water and a hunger for food
And wove into every living being
Desires for life and pleasure in their satisfaction
Thanks be to you.
Let me be alert to the yearnings that you have placed within me
And let me know what will truly satisfy the desires of my heart.
Let me be attentive
To the yearnings that you have planted in every human being
And let me be sure of what will fulfill them.
Let me be guided by your wisdom, O Christ,
Let me be guided by your wisdom. 

Thirst and hunger. 
Alert to the yearnings. 
Be attentive.
Guided by wisdom. 
Strong words – words to heed.
We are creatures of God that must acknowledge the God within.
We cannot ignore the God-hints and God-urges;
The stirrings of God inside
That make us into what God has intended. 

I am headed to the hills today.  Where will I see God?  Where will I release the God within?  Let me be guided by the Spirit’s wisdom.  Amen. 



7.17.15  Wisdom and Truth
John 16:13 MSG
But when the Friend comes, the Spirit of the Truth, he will take you by the hand and guide you into all the truth there is. 

FRIDAY MORNING PRAYER:
That wisdom was born with me in the womb
Thanks be to you, O God.
That your ways have been written into the human body and soul
There to be read and reverenced
Thanks be to you.
Let me be attentive to the truths of these living texts.
Let me learn of the law etched into the whole of creation
That gave birth to the mystery of life
And feeds and renews it day by day.
Let me discern the law of love in my own heart
And in knowing it, obey it.
Let me be set free by love, O God,
Let me be set free to love. (JPN)

               “Let me learn of the law etched into the whole of creation”….God speak wisdom in every wildflower, every sunrise and sunset, every soaring eagle, and in the whole of our world.  Are we listening?  Are we listening to the Spirit within who echoes that truth, who lives that law of love?  Are we honoring God in our treatment of Creation? 

               My favorite lines from this prayer, however, are the last: “Let me be set free BY love, set free TO love.”  Free from our own egoism and concern, free to consider and care for others, secure in the truth of God that lives within.  

No comments:

Post a Comment