Friday, July 4, 2014

SIMPLY REJOICING 10: Treasure and Delight in the Truth

1- SURRENDER TO THE LIVING WORD
"A scripture has the power to penetrate and reveal truth."

WEDNESDAY, July 2   The Word
Hebrews 4:12 GNT
The word of God is alive and active, sharper than any double-edged sword. It cuts all the way through, to where soul and spirit meet, to where joints and marrow come together.  It judges the desires and thoughts of the heart.

     It is late in the day and I am just now getting to my devotional time for the day.  But I had looked ahead and knew that today's message had something to do with Scripture.  On my beach walk this afternoon I thought, I need a couple of good "B's" if I am to write the word BIBLE.   And today?  I finally found B's!!  The word of God is indeed alive and active!  And it is for each one of us individually - we should read the Bible as if it were written just for us!  How do we receive the promises?  How do we apply the scripture to each of our lives?  I like to read at least three different translations of the scriptures, because sometimes it is just ONE different word that triggers a spiritual or emotional response, a new slant on application, or just a new message God wants me to hear.  The word of God pierces that place within us where 'soul and spirit meet'.  I like that thought.    Now....time to read a little more.  :)


THURSDAY, July 3    Identity
2 Timothy 3:16-17 MSG
Every part of Scripture is God-breathed and useful one way or another—showing us truth, exposing our rebellion, correcting our mistakes, training us to live God’s way. Through the Word we are put together and shaped up for the tasks God has for us.
     I was going to move on to the second part of this chapter, but thought I should at least READ the last portion of yesterday's section.  And I caught the following quote by Mark Batterson, from his book Soul Print:  
"The key to self-discovery is allowing the one who knit you together in your mother's womb to reveal things you do not and cannot know about yourself without his revelation.  God knows you better than you know yourself, because he designed you, so if you want to get to know yourself, you've got to get to know God."
     We must look to God for our true identity.  It starts with Scripture.  It starts with our relationship with our Creator.  And the possibilities from that relationship are endless.....




2- DESIRE A HOLY HEART
"The truth will cleanse, free, and heal."

FRIDAY, July 4  HOLY
John 17:17 MSG
Make them holy—consecrated—with the truth;
Your word is consecrating truth.


     Yesterday as I walked the beach and finished praying my ABC's, I started to go through the alphabet again trying to link a Christian virtue or aim with each letter.  When I got to H, I first thought honesty, but I think a more inclusive word would be HOLY.   If we strive for 'holiness' in all we do, it will take care of many faults!  It reminds me of a Passport weekly series on Holy, in which the devotions focused on Holy: Imagination, Walk, Expectations, Wisdom, Love, Glory, and Gifts.  I especially like the thought of holy imagination and expectations - they reflect the power of what God can do through us.  






This post is based on the book, SIMPLY REJOICING, by Patsy Lewis, published by Beacon Hill Press of Kansas City, 2013. 

No comments:

Post a Comment