Thursday, January 2, 2014

Scribble Prayers

Christmas Noel Prayer
     While visiting Stony Point Conference Center outside New York City last fall (a center formally run by the Presbyterian Church and now led independently through the Presbyterian Peace Fellowship), I picked up a book in the little shop called Praying in Color: Drawing a New Path to God  by Sybil MacBeth.  (Paraclete Press, Brewster, MA)

Here are a few quotes from the book:
If any of these dilemmas describe your efforts at prayer, then you and I stand on some common, shaky ground:  You make a list of the people for whom you want to pray and then don't know what to pray for.......You can't sit still long enough to get past the 'Our Father' or 'Hello God' step. ...... You fumble for the right words and deem the effort hopeless.....You want to like the act of praying, but it is more often obligation and drudgery than joy......
Praying in Color  is an active, meditative, playful prayer practice.  It is both process and product, a colorful design or drawing that is a visual reminder of time spent in prayer.  
This practice requires no skill!  
I need a way to pray that gives me time.  I need a way to pray that does not require lengthy, prize-winning words.  I need a way to pray that suits my short attention span, my restless body, and my inclination to live in my head and daydream.

The author goes on to describe a type of doodling, while meditating on individuals or events for which you are offering prayer.  Her resulting pictures or scribbles are very organic and unplanned.  They emerge without pattern or planning.  Here are a couple of her examples.....






An early prayer scribble....more random.
    My first Color Prayers were fairly random, somewhat in the style of the author. But it didn't take long for my inherent inner artist to emerge and my prayer scribbles gradually adopted a slightly more organized look, albeit still using some of her basic ideas.  Her initial technique is to write the names of those you wish to pray for on the paper and then meditate on each person as you doodle around their name.  This technique for me grew into more of a 'what design do I want to use to bind my prayer together today?' concept and then I placed my names into the designs.  I prayed for each individual or family as I continued to draw that portion of the scribble.   Hence, many of the early prayers are images of fall: acorns, leaves, etc.  December prayers are filled with snowflakes and holly, peppermints and stars.
Fall is starting to appear....

Here come the oak trees! 
Drawn after Bike Trail in NC's Salem Lake

Nothing like the inspiration of the mighty oak! 
Smiles were part of the Gratitude Challenge! 
Advent Stars!  12.8.13
Longest Night Prayer....lighting the candles. 
Snowflake Prayers enroute to Portland 12.26.13
O Christmas Tree Prayer 12.28.13

          Another technique proposed by author Macbeth is for a prayer 'quilt'.  I tried this technique in November and December.  My November quilt was filled with a daily gratitude.  At the end of each day I asked, "For what can I thank God today?"  My quilt calendar became a visual reminder of God's blessings throughout the month.  


NOVEMBER GRATITUDE PRAYERS:
1-SUNSHINE:unexpected gift for travel
2-ACCESSIBILITY: Clingman's Dome design
3-VARIETY: Kudzu creatures and sumac colors
4-SUNRISE and SUNSETS: Little Rock, AR
5-WEATHER GIFT: Palo Duro change!
6-RETURN TO FAMILIAR: Back in NM!
7-NIGHTSKY: Starry skies & crescent moon
8-WILDLIFE: Sandhill cranes, geese
9-FAMILY TIME: Movie with 3 generations
10-WORSHIP: Rainbow colors at ABQ church
11-NEW ADVENTURE: New route around SLC
12-HOMECOMING WELCOME: Kady's flowers on table, etc. 
13-HELP!: Stomping leaves
14-STUDY: Opportunity to gather for Bible study
15-FRIENDS: Chance to reconnect and engage
16-FOOD ABUNDANCE: Bountiful Baskets
17-SMILES: Freely given, little things in life!
18-OUTING IN GOD'S CREATION: Family time snowshoeing
19-OPPORTUNITY TO GIVE: Blood draw, honor Dad.
20-MUSIC:  Choir comes back together. 
21-GIFTS OF HEART: Jed and Luke gift us the TSO Concert
22-FAMILY HELP: Rick leaves for Alaska to help Mac
23-SOURDOUGH: A staple connection of longtime friends
24-COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY: Keeping families in touch!
25-ANTICIPATION: Joy of wonder, preparation, ritual, unknown
26-CHANGE: Moments when God turns things around
27-REUNITING: After separation
28-TURKEY TROT: Community working together
29-GOOD WINE, FRIENDS, AND HOARFROST: Hike at Phillips, evening with Rusty
30-PACKAGES:To remind family and friends we care! 

     My December calendar/quilt I titled 'Advent Anticipation' and I meditated on the presence of God and actions I was doing to prepare for Emmanuel.  At times it drifted toward more of a 'here is what happened today' type of calendar.  I have to remind myself that these prayers cannot have a right and a wrong to them.  I can't scold myself for not 'praying correctly'!  The act itself is time spent with God!  

December Advent Anticipation
1- CANDLE of Hope: First Sunday of Advent 
2-PREPARATION:New perm - looking good!
3-PREPARATION for Family: Making Papaya candy!
4-BIRTHDAYS: Mom's 94th!
5-CUTTING CHRISTMAS TREE: Outing with Luke
6-FIRST FRIDAY: Community Support, wine bar, new nativity plate from Crossroads
7-BAZAARS, TREES, GREENING, PARADE! 
8-CANDLE of PEACE: Second Sunday of Advent
9-PYG CROSSSTITCH: Gift for Erin, my 2nd PYG to have a child  
10-PACKAGES: Final batch in the mail!
11-COOKIES: Exchange packing for shut-ins
12-VISITS: Taking cookies to Miriam at Care Center
13-TRAVEL: To Portland to pick up Mom, Angel Tree purchases
14-TRAVEL: Brining Mom Mac home, visit with Harrises
15-CANDLE of JOY: Children's Programs, vespers
16-TRAVEL: Pickup Jed in Boise, foggy!
17-SHARING: Open Door Gift Shoppe, moon set
18-NATIVITIES:  game at WSG Party
19-CLAM CHOWDER: Visit with Maryalys and lunch, PYG baby Audrey born! 
20-SNOWFALL: 5" falls, first major snow of the season
21-CINNAMON ROLL BAKING: Gifts for friends
22-CANDLE of LOVE: 4th Sunday of Advent, Caroling Party
23-NATURE: Elk viewing with Schneiders
24-PREPARATION: Cooking, cleaning, Christmas Eve Party
25-CHRISTMAS DAY: Celebration with family and friends 
26-TRAVEL: To West Linn with Mom Mac and Jed
27-SECOND CHRISTMAS: With Simmons family and 4 generations!
28-TRAVEL: Home to Baker in the fog! 
29-MUSIC: Christmas Hymn Sing during worship
30-COOKIES FOR JACK: Lots of them!!  22 dozen made
31-CHURCH SKI DAY: Skiing, snowshoes, friends. 

      Lastly, Macbeth encouraged conversation and meditation on God, Jesus, and the Spirit.  She offered the following as her God prayer.  

One morning I reflected on all the aspects of God and developed this prayer scribble:

The possibilities are endless!  The time spent in meditation and reflection beneficial!  I am thoroughly enjoying the added dimension to my 'divine doodling' this book has offered!  

 
                   
          

No comments:

Post a Comment