Monday, May 6, 2013

SO THAT YOU MAY BELIEVE ....STILL

INVOCATION.... d365.org  (Joshua Hays)
When there are so many challenges made, so many insistent declarations that call into question what you see, what you hear, what you think, and yes, what you know, it is hard to be certain sometimes about anything.
While doubt is not unwelcome for the honest believer who is trying to understand, it is good to hear something that reminds the faithful follower about why their journey of faith was begun in the first place.
Listen now for echoes of truth, so that you may believe still.

SATURDAY, May 11 "Heaven"
Revelation 22:1-5 (Message)
Then the Angel showed me Water-of-Life River, crystal bright. It flowed from the Throne of God and the Lamb, right down the middle of the street. The Tree of Life was planted on each side of the River, producing twelve kinds of fruit, a ripe fruit each month. The leaves of the Tree are for healing the nations. Never again will anything be cursed. The Throne of God and of the Lamb is at the center. His servants will offer God service—worshiping, they’ll look on his face, their foreheads mirroring God. Never again will there be any night. No one will need lamplight or sunlight. The shining of God, the Master, is all the light anyone needs. And they will rule with him age after age after age.
What a vision, God!
Light, warmth, and love.
Providence and healing. 
Forgiveness and redemption. 
Flowing waters of baptismal cleansing,
Light of glory, creation splendor.
Service, acts of love mirroring the Almighty. 
Forever and ever.
Heaven above...
Or could it be heaven here and now?
It is up to us - reflect the light. 

     For some reason this morning the phrase that really caught my eye was 'service' - coming right before the word worship.  We call it a worship service, and we come and expect to be 'fed' (from the fruit tree of life?)  We expect a warm community of support, and then return to our 'normal' life....unfulfilled and wondering why we can't see the light of God.  Worship IS service, worship is engaging in active praise and exchange, worship is being that support for others, worship is what we do when our hour is over.  
     How can I take the service of worship out into my community?  Or, to repeat the question, "How can I open up to allow the light of God to shine through me? What does my forehead mirror?


Scroll down....the rest of the scribbles are done for the week! 


FRIDAY, May 10 "The Light of God"
Revelation 21:10b-11a, 22-24 (Good News Translation)
He showed me Jerusalem, the Holy City, coming down out of heaven from God and shining with the glory of God. .....  I did not see a temple in the city, because its temple is the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb.  The city has no need of the sun or the moon to shine on it, because the glory of God shines on it, and the Lamb is its lamp.  The peoples of the world will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their wealth into it.
     What is heaven like?  Everyone says it is light, brighter than anything we can possibly imagine.  Light that surrounds us with overwhelming warmth and love.  
     The beauty of Revelation is that heaven doesn't have to be just the hereafter. We don't have to wait! Heaven has come down to earth and shines with the glory of God RIGHT HERE!  We are heaven!  With God and our Lord shining in us, WE are the lamp of heavenly light.  The light of love we radiate brings heaven to earth. 
     Last night at our Lectionary Bible Study, Deb suggested a new opening question that seems appropriate for this passage:  "How or where have I allowed the light of God to shine through me in the past week?"  If we can't answer the question, then we haven't done our part in bringing God's glory to earth.  
     Hmmmm....reminds me of an early childhood Bible song, "This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine...."   If we remember that the light isn't ours, but God's, perhaps we will work a little harder to shine!  We have work to do! 


BENEDICTION.... d365.org  (Joshua Hays)
It is in the knowing 
And in the unknowing
That the faithful find their way through.
It is in trust despite distrust,
Harmony despite discord,
And belief despite deceit
That Love finds its ultimate victory,
Unwilling and finally unable
To let go the beloved.

THURSDAY, May 9 "Promises"
John 14:28-29  (The Message)
“You’ve heard me tell you, ‘I’m going away, and I’m coming back.’ If you loved me, you would be glad that I’m on my way to the Father because the Father is the goal and purpose of my life. “I’ve told you this ahead of time, before it happens, so that when it does happen, the confirmation will deepen your belief in me.
Promises made.
Promises fulfilled.
We come to believe in those promises.
Jesus said he would die.
He said he would rise again.
It happened.
Just as he said.
He WILL come again.
But in the meantime,
The faith is ours to hold.
To make his return a daily event
In the lives of those around us.
In our own life.
May I daily display my belief
That Jesus is alive and active in our world.
Just as he promised. 

WEDNESDAY, May 8 "Peace"
John 14:27 (GNT)
“Peace is what I leave with you; it is my own peace that I give you. I do not give it as the world does. Do not be worried and upset; do not be afraid."
“Take care!”
“Hope all goes well!”
“I’ll be thinking and praying for you!”
“Ah, there’s nothing to worry about!”
These are words we say.
We hope they provide comfort,
A sense of security or well-being.
But do they always validate the feelings of the recipient?
Or do they sometimes deepen the wound?
Peace as the world gives.
When Jesus says do not be worried,
Do not be afraid,
We can truly know PEACE.
Not of this world, but of God.
Know the presence,
Know the One who walks with us.
Peace comes from believing in the One
Who grants it with love. 


TUESDAY, May 7 “THE Advocate”
John 14:25-26  (CEB)
“I have spoken these things to you while I am with you.  The Companion, the Holy Spirit [or The Advocate], whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I told you.
     I looked in each of my translations today for one which used the term Advocate, but I found instead Helper, Companion, or Friend.  The Common English did indicate Advocate in a footnote!  Helpers or friends are nice, but Advocate is a legal term…. Like having an attorney always present to go to bat for you, to explain the complexities of life, to help you through relationships and difficult situations.  We all have such people in our life, whether it has been a close friend, a pastor, a teacher, or mentor.  But we all also have the comfort of knowing we have THE Advocate, the Holy Spirit, ever present.  Now… if we would just LISTEN to what our Advocate has to say! 


MONDAY, May 6
“Loves Makes a Home”
John 14:23-24
Jesus answered, “Whoever loves me will keep my word. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.  Whoever doesn’t love me doesn’t keep my words. The word that you hear isn’t mine. It is the word of the Father who sent me.
What makes a house a home?
Not furniture or new paint,
Not immaculate landscaping or up to date kitchens.
Love makes a home.
Love shared and experienced.
Love ever-flowing.
The Trinity will move into our house,
And make it a home.
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. 
Invite them in.
Do a little spring cleaning
Of heart and soul,
And let the Love grow. 
House to Home in love. 








SUNDAY, May 5 
"Like Ripples in Water"
Psalm 67:1-3  (CEB)
Let God grant us grace and bless us;
    let God make his face shine on us, 
so that your way becomes known on earth,    
      so that your salvation becomes known among all the nations .
Let the people thank you, God!
Let all the people thank you!

Toss a rock into a pond,
And the water ripples outward
In ever-growing waves.
One stone changing the whole pond.
One action in a chain reaction.
Toss God into the world
And blessings shall ripple forth,
Magnified each time we share the Love.
When the God-stone is thrown
Into our tumultuous world
Ripples of salvation love will roll like waves
And the world waters will be blessed.
Be the God-stone.
Make the love ripple in our world-pond.

Amen! 




















No comments:

Post a Comment