Sunday, January 13, 2013

"SPIRIT OF THE WATERS"

D365.org  PRESENCE OF GOD (Laura Rector) 
Water is powerful – a necessity for life and also a threat to life when it surges out of control.
There is One who is always in the midst of the waters, bringing life every day and sustaining life when it is threatened. This same Spirit is with you now.  Feel and know the Spirit's presence.



SATURDAY, January 19  "Inside Out"
Luke 3:15-17  (The Message)
John intervened: “I’m baptizing you here in the river. The main character in this drama, to whom I’m a mere stagehand, will ignite the kingdom life, a fire, the Holy Spirit within you, changing you from the inside out. He’s going to clean house—make a clean sweep of your lives. He’ll place everything true in its proper place before God; everything false he’ll put out with the trash to be burned.”    
     We've heard the compliment, 'You clean up nicely'!  But it usually refers to our outer appearance - a cleansing shower, hair combed or curled, dress-up clothing.  It generally implies we don't always look ythis good!  Our 'normal' is a little more casual. 
     What does a clean sweep from the inside look like?  What does it mean if someone says 'You clean up nicely' and they are referring to our character, our soul, - the essence of who we are before God?  That is the kind of housekeeping to which John refers.  That is the effect of a baptism in the Holy Spirit.  It is more than a washing of the common dirt of everyday sin.  It is like a fire burning within us -  separating the wheat from the chaff.  It is a transformation to something new, something holy.  When we are cleaned from the inside out, it becomes our normal.  The Holy Spirit works a life change within us.  
     What kind of housecleaning needs to be done in our lives?  Have we opened the door for the Holy Spirit maid to enter and begin work?




d365.org  BENEDICTION (Laura Rector)
Beside the healing stream,
Drink in the Spirit's power.
In the midst of the whelming flood,
Know the Spirit's care.
Let the Spirit carry you
As the river carries a vessel
To its destination,
To its home.


FRIDAY, January 18   "Acceptance"
Acts 8:14-17  (The Message)
When the apostles in Jerusalem received the report that Samaria had accepted God’s Message, they sent Peter and John down to pray for them to receive the Holy Spirit. Up to this point they had only been baptized in the name of the Master Jesus; the Holy Spirit hadn’t yet fallen on them. Then the apostles laid their hands on them and they did receive the Holy Spirit.
God came for all. 
Not just the Jews. 
But the hated Samaritans. 
The Romans. 
All Gentiles. 
Women. Rich. Poor.
Accepted by God. 
Blessed and received by God.  
Can we do no less -
To view all as children of God?
Even if they are irritating. 
Or if we don't like their actions. 
Even if they are of different faiths. 
Or make war unfairly. 
All are children of God. 
All are worthy of our acceptance. 
Welcome all. 
As God does. 
Through Baptism. 
Through the Holy Spirit. 





THURSDAY, January 17   "Big Three"
Luke 3:21-22 (The Message)
After all the people were baptized, Jesus was baptized. As he was praying, the sky opened up and the Holy Spirit, like a dove descending, came down on him. And along with the Spirit, a voice: “You are my Son, chosen and marked by my love, pride of my life.” 
“You are my own dear Son. I am pleased with you.”  (Good News Translation)
 “You are my Son, whom I dearly love; in you I find happiness.” (Common English Bible)
“You are my Son, the Beloved; with you I am well pleased.” (NRSV)
     I was in a group last night and when the blessing was given, a "Trinitarian" closing was delivered in the prayer.  We commented on the reminder of "The Big Three" when often all we use to close a prayer is 'In Christ's name', etc.  
     The Big Three is present at Jesus's baptism.  This is a big event.  It is the public beginning of his ministry.  Many people are present, having also received baptism.  Many are questioning if John is the Messiah - a sense of anticipation is in the air.   How many realize the significance of the baptism of Jesus that day?  Surely if voices are heard from on high, bodily forms of doves suddenly appear, the crowd will grasp the importance of the event.  God speaks!  The Holy Spirit is visible!  Heaven opens for a moment and the presence of God is seen and heard!     What was the reaction of the people?  What is OUR reaction today?  What is our response?
     As we pray, may we remember God in all forms and messengers: Christ beside us, the Spirit within us, and God speaking to us.  May we hear the words of God daily and adopt them as our own: beloved child, pride of my life, pleasing and source of happiness.  May we pray for the Spirit to continually guide us in seeking the will and call of God.  
     In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, Creator, Redeemer, and Sustainer.  Amen!!  
     


We are finally 'into' the scripture passage that was the text for last Sunday's sermon, so I will include now the Scribble I did from Rev. Katy Nicole's preaching. 
Addendum:  Comment made at a lectionary bible study review concerning 'Just a few drops of water....'  -
"It only takes a few drops of water sometime to make a difference between life and death for a plant.  Perhaps we are the same way!"  Just a few drops of water can make all the difference in the world in our lives also!  


WEDNESDAY, January 16 
"The Real Deal"
Luke 3:15-16 (Good News Translation)
People's hopes began to rise, and they began to wonder whether John perhaps might be the Messiah.  So John said to all of them, “I baptize you with water, but someone is coming who is much greater than I am. I am not good enough even to untie his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
Could he be?
The people question with
Anticipation and expectation. 
With desire and longing,
For the Messiah to come. 
Could this John be the one?
No. 
No...says John himself.
Don't bow down to me. 
I'm not your Messiah. 
The real deal is coming. 
So much more than I can give you. 
So much more than we deserve. 
I can inspire. 
I can prepare.
I can point the way. 
But look to the Christ for the real deal. 
God-power in human form.
Not a cleansing with water,
But washed in the Holy Spirit. 
That's your Messiah. 
That's the real deal.

TUESDAY, January 15     "Created for Glory"
Isaiah 43:4-5a, 6b-7  (Good News Translation)
I will give up whole nations to save your life,
    because you are precious to me
    and because I love you and give you honor.
Do not be afraid—I am with you!...
Let my people return from distant lands,
    from every part of the world.
They are my own people,
    and I created them to bring me glory.”
Created for glory. 
Precious. Honored. 
Called by name and claimed.  
Loved. Forever loved.  
The translation doesn't matter. 
The words express one message:
God loves us fully.  
We belong fully to God. 
Every day. 
Everywhere.
Created for God's glory.  

MONDAY, January 14 "Claimed by Name"
Isaiah 43:1b-2 (The Message)
“Don’t be afraid, I’ve redeemed you.
    I’ve called your name. You’re mine.
When you’re in over your head, I’ll be there with you.
    When you’re in rough waters, you will not go down.
When you’re between a rock and a hard place,
    it won’t be a dead end—

Spirit waters wash over me
Cleansing, washing me anew
For a relationship with God. 
Spirit waters seal my baptism,
My adoption into the family of God. 
Called by name, individually. 
Claimed, redeemed, marked. 
I belong to God. 
And with that reality comes the realization
That I will NEVER be alone. 
I will never face hardship alone. 
I will never endure trauma alone. 
My God will be there beside me,
calling my name. 
Claiming me once again.  
Spirit waters of God. 







SUNDAY, January 13   "The Power of God" 
Psalm 29:1-6 (Common English Bible)
You, divine beings! Give to the Lord
    give to the Lord glory and power!
Give to the Lord the glory due his name!    
Bow down to the Lord in holy splendor!
The Lord’s voice is over the waters,
The glorious God thunders;
 the Lord is over the mighty waters.
The Lord’s voice is strong;    
   the Lord’s voice is majestic.
The Lord’s voice breaks cedar trees—
    yes, the Lord shatters the cedars of Lebanon.
He makes Lebanon jump around like a young bull,
    makes Sirion jump around like a young wild ox.

Our God is a God of power. 
Mightier than the force of the waters. 
Louder than the booming thunder. 
Stronger than the trees of the forest. 
For the Israelites the comparisons made sense. 
The waters of the Mediterranean were broad. 
The voices of the god Baal penetrating,
The cedars of Lebanon symbols of permanence. 
But how do we describe our God today?  
How powerful is our God still?
The Lord's voice is heard amid the battle sounds
    of missiles and explosions;
Our glorious God thunders in the chaos of disaster;
    hurricane, tornado, flood, or fire. 
Our Lord breaks the pillars of hatred and prejudice,
   Yes, the Lord shatters envy and selfishness.  
Our God is more powerful than all the evil of our world;
Our God is stronger than war, poverty, and indifference. 
Our God of the universe is mightier, far bigger, than 
    ANYTHING we can conceive.  
Look to the world God has created -
Look to the majesty of all Creation -
And know the power of our God
     To make things right. 
"Give to the Lord glory and power, 
Give to the Lord the glory due his name!"









For later this week....
Inside Out














No comments:

Post a Comment