Sunday, October 28, 2012

TASTE AND SEE

WEDNESDAY, October 31
Mark 10: 49-52 (The Message)
 Jesus stopped in his tracks. “Call him over.”
They called him. “It’s your lucky day! Get up! He’s calling you to come!” Throwing off his coat, he was on his feet at once and came to Jesus.
Jesus said, “What can I do for you?”
The blind man said, “Rabbi, I want to see.”
“On your way,” said Jesus. “Your faith has saved and healed you.”
In that very instant he recovered his sight and followed Jesus down the road.

Lord, how quickly we follow the crowd. 
We did it on Calvary and nailed you to a cross. 
We do it daily...often in denial,
Rarely affirmation. 
We silence the outcast, 
Yet when Jesus acknowledges his presence,
We swiftly change our tune:
'Go to Jesus!  Hurry!  He's calling!
When Jesus isn't looking,
Do we again turn our backs?
Because service isn't easy,
Or convenient,
Or even popular at times. 
God hears the cries of every voice,
Even a single, lone call of despair. 
Are we listening as well,
Even when the crowd around us clamors
For something more appealing?
Lord, help us keep our eyes sharp
Our ears well tuned 
To hear the cries amidst the chaos of our world 
And respond. 
Regardless of the crowd.  


TUESDAY, October 30
Mark 10:46-48 (The Message)
They spent some time in Jericho. As Jesus was leaving town, trailed by his disciples and a parade of people, a blind beggar by the name of Bartimaeus, son of Timaeus, was sitting alongside the road. When he heard that Jesus the Nazarene was passing by, he began to cry out, “Son of David, Jesus! Mercy, have mercy on me!” Many tried to hush him up, but he yelled all the louder, “Son of David! Mercy, have mercy on me!
They tell me to disappear;
To get lost. 
But I can't.
I simply can not.  
I know in my heart this
new preacher has the power to heal.
I feel it from within.
I sense his presence now.
But where is he in this crowd?
I can only call out...and hope.
I will not be silenced!
Notice me, Healer!
Do not walk past unseeing,
As the crowd does daily. 
I'm a blight on their purity.
Easily overlooked, forgotten.
Have mercy, Holy One!
Have mercy on me!
I can not see...
But I reach out...in faith. 

Who is blind today
When we fail to SEE
The outcast in the crowd?
Are we silencing their cries for help?

MONDAY, October 29   "Fear Not!"
Psalm 34:6-8 (The Message)
"When I was desperate, I called out,
    and God got me out of a tight spot. 
God's angel sets up a circle of protection
    around us while we pray. 
Open you mouth and taste, open your eyes and see,
    how good God is. 
    Blessed are you who run to him." 
Help me, Lord!
I'm desperate!
I'm in trouble!
I'm afraid!
I'm scared!
I'm alone. 
But no....I'm not. 
Is that you? 
I feel a presence. 
Help is coming. 
Where did it come from? 
Did you send this person?
Is this you, Lord?
I see no halo or angel wings, 
But I KNOW my help has come 
   from a heavenly source. 
A hug. A hand. 
Reassurance, Encouragement.
Guidance. Assistance. 
Help me remember, Lord. 
To savor this moment and
To never fear.
For you are here
With me.
Always.  


SUNDAY, October 28  "Magnify God!"

d365.org PAUSE! (Estelene Boratenski)
Of all the human senses, sight is the one most of us take for granted. From the moment we open our eyes in the morning, we expect to see the world. And of all the human senses, taste is the one we savor, the one where we become keenly aware of the blandness, the tartness, the spiciness, the sweetness of the world.
Consider now how we encounter God through an awareness of what it means to taste and see the wonder in the world.

Psalm 34:1-3 (Good News Translation)
"I will always thank the Lord; 
I will never stop praising him. 
I will praise him for what he has done; 
may all who are oppressed listen and be glad!
Proclaim with me the Lord's greatness; 
let us praise his name together!" 

I did just a little research with translation comparisons here for the term PROCLAIM from verse 3.  Various other texts say....
O MAGNIFY the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together. (NRSV)
Join me in SPREADING the news; together let's get the word out. (The Message)
GLORIFY the Lord with me; let us exalt his name together. (NIV)
PRAISE the Lord's greatness with me; let us highly honor his name together. (God's Word)
Ascribe ye greatness to Jehovah with me, and we EXALT his name together. (Young's Literal)
     What does it mean to exalt, proclaim, magnify, glorify,  or praise?  While magnify isn't exactly a word we use much anymore, it might perhaps be the best one for the job.  Like a magnifying glass, we want to focus attention on the details of God's activity so that they aren't missed.  You can't exaggerate God or make God bigger, but we can amplify God at work in our lives and world. We can make God appear bigger to us!   Glorify, praise - talk about all the great things God has done!  Talk God up!  See God at work in creation, constantly recreating! 
      While all these texts use different terms for the action performed, they all are united in HOW we glorify and praise.  TOGETHER.  With each other.  In community.  When we focus on praise and glory together, we can't  nitpick our differences and argue among ourselves.  Every denomination and religion can agree that "God is good.  God is good!"  Together let us join in sharing with the world this good news of God's wonder and grace, of God's glory.  Maybe the blog title should read, Taste and See, Then Tell!     







4 comments:

  1. what is Mean LGBT AT 4-TH picture? please explain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender. Regardless of our faith, race, sexuality, and wealth, we ALL are called TOGETHER to praise Gods name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender. Regardless of our faith, race, sexuality, and wealth, we ALL are called TOGETHER to praise Gods name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender. Regardless of our faith, race, sexuality, and wealth, we ALL are called TOGETHER to praise Gods name.

    ReplyDelete