Friday, July 6, 2012

Peace & Freedom


Wednesday, July 4

Happy Birthday USA!  Happy Birthday to my Dad!  (He would have been 93 today!) 

    After a very late night (1am) due to the ballgame, my roommate a little stressed when she returned at midnight, and too much conversation between midnight and 1, I was just a little tired upon waking this morning! 
     Up at 6:30, however, to dress (I took that shower last night after the ball game!) and at 6:40 had a text from Luke saying he was amazed that he beat me to the breakfast.  I had forgotten that it started at 6:45 instead of 7!  I’m glad he called. 
Luke at PPF Breakfast
    Luke was the greeter for everyone at the door of the breakfast, looking very dapper again in slacks and dress shirt.  His other job this morning was to man the camera of one of the PPF board members and then pick up offerings, papers, etc. after the meal.  Peaceseeker Awards for 2011 and 2012 were handed out, one to an Egyptian Christian and another to Alice Winters, who has labored down in Colombia,.  Rick Ufford-Chase, Executive Director of PPF listed many of their projects and affiliates, and then introduced Rev. Herbert Nelson, the Witness for Justice in Washington DC.  Another powerful black preacher!  Some of his main points are included in my PPF Breakfast drawing.  
     Back up to the room to gather my things, a quick hi to Luke on the way down, and then I am off to the DLCC to meet with Lauren Trohkimoinen, Judy T's niece, a YAAD from Wyoming.  She is a delightful young recent high school grad, and I enjoyed our visit.  
     The committee this morning were to review summaries from all the other committee moderators - short 90 sec video clips of major actions and deliberations on the part of their committee.  It was good to hear what else had been going on, but we had some trouble with our CD, so the video was a little hard to understand.  
     We were done in committee around 11:30 and had until 2 before plenary started.  I received a text from Luke about showing my book to the folks at d365.org, so I ran back to the room to get it.  I finally found the right booth, and then explored the Exhibit Hall again, as today is the last day.  Made some more purchases and picked up two shirts, each for $5.  I was about to head down to Subway, when Pete showed me that you can get quick lunches at the DLCC.  I grabbed a veggie burger - nothing fancy or that great, but it did the trick!  
      I took all my "stuff" back to the room and then took off for Plenary, meeting back up with Luke and then we ran into Mike Ferguson.  Sat down at a bench and enjoyed a 20 minute "catch up" with the family and all the happenings - both ways!  Was good to see him (AND I was able to finally confess that I still have one of his books - he forgave me!)    I won't go into all the details, but the afternoon started right off with contention.  Our vice moderator resigned, having received a flurry of blogs, posts, that she perceived were going to derail the assembly before it even started.  It was painful.  Following that Lynn, my roommate, was one of the first up to present Business type stuff AND budgetary implications.  I can't imagine how boring her committee had to have been - or boring in my book because I wouldn't have wanted to deal with all of it! 

I would have to consult the ongoing notes I have been keeping for a more precise summary7 of the plenary sessions today.  But I would sum them up in two words:  Conflict and Celebration.  We rejoiced in celebration the work of Theological Institutions, including Princeton and Union, which are in the midst of bicentennial celebrations.  We saw videos and heard from both presidents.  We confirmed the new presidents at San Anselmo and McCormick in Chicago.  We commissioned new YAVs and new mission workers and honored the work of those with 20 years or more in mission service.  At one point on the podium there were those with a combined 428 years of mission service to the PCUSA. 

And there was conflict.  We debated for 20 minutes whether we should allow a period of 20 minute debate.  We challenged the installation of our vice moderator and then questioned her resignation.  The church is deeply divided over inclusion issues as they pertain to ordination and marriage, and what appears now to be the minority opinion with passion and a great deal of maneuvering are wanting to be heard….no, wanting to return to a more middle ground.  But I sense the overwhelming wave here are ready to move forward in a more progressive manner and get about with the job of ACTING upon our faith in terms of mission outreach, new worshipping communities, etc. 

Commissioners and families were the invited guests to view the Pittsburgh fireworks from the fourth floor rooftop terrace of the convention center.  What a great view of the city, the river bridges, and the fireworks.  The center entry made me feel like we were entering the Star Trek zone – or the beginning of Star Wars!   It did get really hot and damp up there, however!  I took over 175 pictures!!  More of which will get deleted.  Called Jed on the way to the top to get a quick update on how to take better night pictures.  It helped on some, but I reverted to standard automatic at times for others.  Also took a long video clip.  I think the whole show must have lasted at least a half hour!! 

     Back to hotel room around 10:15.  Talked with Rick for an hour, and then Lynn return and another hour or so visit.  Sadly….1am again before I am asleep. 

samples of a few more finished drawings:  

From Brian McLaren's speak Monday am
Riverside Conversations re: Mid-Council Report

Our committee sang in three parts

An excerpt from PPF speaker Wed am





No comments:

Post a Comment